Thread: John Whittle

James Lee

Default John Whittle

Help. I need a birth date for John Whittle. John was born in 1873 in West Derby Lancashire. He died 25th August 1926 age 53 at 13 Macbeth Street Kirkdale Liverpool. I have found 2 john Whittle's born in the same year so i need a birth date to verify which one links my family tree. Can anyone advise how i find John's date of birth. any help would be greately appreciated
    Jim Lee:

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Jim, Do you know the Parents of your John Whittle? I don't know the area well but there is abirth registered to a Mother "Benson" in 1873 at Kirkham , reg's at Preston KH/21/ 79

A marriage between Thomas Whittle & Ellen Benson at Fylde Sep. 1/4 1872.

1881 census has a Family of Whittle : Ellen widowed 47 of Ireland charwoman
    Children all born Liverpool: Mary Ann 24,..Elizabeth 18,..Caroline 10 & John 7.
    Class: RG11; Piece: 3711; Folio: 7; Page: 7;

A death is registered for a Thomas Whittle aged 56 in W.Derby 1880 8b-353.

If these may be the correct Family you can find a certificate with the reg. nos above. Perhaps even find a Christening.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

Can anyone advise how i find John's date of birth. any help would be greately appreciated
    The date of birth is obtained from the birth certificate not the other way round.

Are you perhaps missing out a step? Didn't this man marry? His marriage certificate will provide his father's name and perhaps other clues to help you locate the right birth.

There are many dangers in picking likely looking candidates from the birth indexes without any other identifying details, one of them being that you need to take into account the possibility that the birth of your John Whittle may not have been registered!

James Lee

Hi Peter.

Thank you for your prompt reply. John was not married but had a common law wife, they had 6 children all who have now passed on. John had 2 brothers Robert and George but lo and behold when i checked for births i have found 2 George Whittle's and 3 Robert's who could possible match. I have some Death certificates with the year of birth as well as age at death, but the death certificate i have for John only has his age at death. It would seem the only option is for me to order birth certificates for for each of them and hope that there is a common link ie mothers maiden name. I may strike lucky and link all three at the first go or finish up buying all 7 certificates and still not find a link. I was hoping for a less expensive option.
    Best Regards
    Jim Lee

James Lee

Hi Waitabit.
    Thank you for the look up. Preston was my first port of call as i was originally told that the family where country people,Bearing in mind that in the 1800's most of Liverpool was classed as countryside. This clouded the search until i found that john had 2 brothers George and Robert. My John Whittle was not married but had a common law wife. I have a copy of John's death certificate but it ony gives age at death. I have several other family members death certificates where it gives date of birth as well as age at death

I hoped to find a link through his brothers but have found that there are several permutations of George and Robert's who could possibly be his siblings.

It looks as though i will have to put my hand in my pocket and stump up for certificates for each of them in the hope of finding a common thread, ie fathers name and mothers maiden name.

Best Regards
    Jim

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by James Lee View Post
    John had 2 brothers Robert and George but lo and behold when i checked for births i have found 2 George Whittle's and 3 Robert's who could possible match. I have some Death certificates with the year of birth as well as age at death, but the death certificate i have for John only has his age at death. It would seem the only option is for me to order birth certificates for for each of them and hope that there is a common link ie mothers maiden name.
    Is it not possible to find these brothers as a family group in the census, to help narrow down the options? That may be easier than trying to make the quantum leap backwards from death certificate to birth certificate.

Any marriage certificates for the brothers might also help, since there's always a chance that a sibling was witness.

Perhaps if you post all the certificate and census details that you have (preferably with census references), members might be able to help?

James Lee

Hi Kerrywood.

The Whittle's are not my immediate family. I am related by marriage and the family members i am in contact with do not have any certificates or information other than their own families. I am working with a blank canvas

I have checked every census from 1881 to 1901 and so far have not been able to find a link.

John had a common law wife and I was able to trace her family roots through her Maiden name and the 1881 - 1891 and 1901 census records

Best Regards
    Jim

A fountain of knowledge

Hiya ...can I make a suggestion about your John Whittle....West Derby register office covered about 8 different districts of Liverpool...for instance I am in Garston...reg office West Derby...6 miles away...so if and when you can connect to your John Whittle you need an ADDRESS from the census returns...for instance the 1881 result shows
    Ellen ,Mary Ann ,Elizabeth, Caroline John etc....what Address are they in ?......if we can narrow down the area they lived we may be able to find the family via their family church....ie in Liverpool there is a well known family of Whittle who all came from Smithdown Rd area Wavertree district....we are looking for West Derby but which town ?
    Garston Aigburth Hunts Cross Allerton etc........allan

James Lee

Hi Allan.
    Thanks for the info, i am fairly new to this and obviously had Tunnel Vision. All of the information that i have found on both branches of my wife's tree were West Derby and all lived in Bootle. I presumed that West Derby only covered Bootle and limited my search. I will start again with new hope.
    once again thank you
    Best Regards
    Jim