v.wells

Default Photo editing from video still shots

My sister sent me video CD's of family films and I have been able to capture some 30 images of still shots. The film quality is poor and the images are quite blurry. My question is : 1. Should I try and recapture the images again (requires 4 hrs of viewing)? and 2. How do I make the pics more viewable?. I have HP photo gallery, Paint and Windows video player only. Both are on XP and Vista pc's. I am not good with photo retouching/refining!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Vanessa,

Am no expert but I suspect you'll need to do something about the resolution of each picture? Unless there's a less time consuming method.

Browneyes xxx

Reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid that if the quality of the films wasn't too good to start with, you may be stuck with it. No photo editing software can add detail that wasn't present in the original.

Unfortunately the technology that you see in TV cop shows where they magically enhance some muddy CCTV footage to give a perfect mug shot of the criminal doesn't exist in the real world.

v.wells

Thanks Peter and Broweyes I thought as much that it wasn't worth the effort. My sister wasted £200 getting the footage put onto CD and still hasn't bothered looking at it. Heavens knows if she made an effort to keep the original film strips. They are probably cut up in little bits and laying on someone's office floor. Waste a sublime waste!! I had asked for the film many years ago so that I could have it transferred but .....who am I?

kiwipom

Hi Vanessa

Captured images from 8mm or super 8 will always be of poorer quality than we have become acustomed to expect now. They are Anaglogue as opposed to the digital format we use today plus the resolution was much less when they were taken.

If you do want to try your hand at enhancing the captured images, I can recomend Gimp 2. An Open source image editing and enhancement programme that is as good as Photoshop but costs nothing (unless you care to donate to the project).

How's Red Deer? Long time since I've been there and my last memory was driving from Rocky Mountain House, and hearing the local radio DJ tell everyone to get out to?????? to "see the biggest freakin Moose I ever seen".
    Great place

v.wells

Thanks Kiwipom for the Gimp2 idea. I will have to run the videos again and see what good stuff I can capture.

Rocky Mtn. House is situated in the most beautiful area of Alberta and one can always guarantee a "sighting" of some sort.