Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dodge

vabre

Question Dodge

I am researching the family name and the information from the 1881 census says.... Harriet and George (parents) Children were..Eliza 13y/o, Julia 12y/o, Louis 8, Laura 6, Ada 4 ( my grandmother ), George 2, & Herbert 9 mths. My grandmother arrived in Australia in 1921, with her second husband Peter weekes. Her first husbanb Richard Bennett died as a result of the Boer War. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who knows of, or , is researching this Dodge family. Peter Weekes ( my step grandfather worked as a groom for Fosters Clark, the custard powder company, near Maidstone in Kent.
    Thank you in advance.
    Pam walton.....Sydney....Australia.

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Default 1871

Quote Originally Posted by vabre
    ...1881 census says.... Harriet and George (parents) Children were..Eliza 13y/o, Julia 12y/o, Louis 8, Laura 6, Ada 4 ( my grandmother ), George 2, & Herbert 9 mths. ...
    Pam,

1871 census info:

Harriet and George living 2 households away from 1881 address at [looks like...] Cowen Cottage with children Ellen, 6, Olive, 5, Jane, 3, Julia, 1. George is an Ag Lab. Harriet, George and Ellen are born at Biddenden, Kent. The rest at Tenterden, Kent.

Reference: RG10/954 Folio 63 Page 122.

HTH,
    Trish

Default 1891

1891 census:

Address given only as Finch or Medhurst, Biddenden, Kent [Finch listed at top of page 5 and Medhurst at top of page 6].

George, 51 [Agricultural Labourer] and Harriett, 46. Children Ellen J., 21, Lewis, 18 [Agricultural Labourer], Ada, 16, George, 12 [Scholar], Herbert, 10 [Scholar], Thomas, 8 [Scholar], Harriett [Scholar], 6, Ellen Jeffries [Daughter, Married], 26, George Jeffries [Grand Son], 3, Charles Jeffries [Grandson], 9 mths.

Birthplaces: George in Benenden, Harriett in Biddenden; Ellen J., Lewis, Ada, George, Herbert, Thomas all in Tenterden; Harriett and Ellen Jeffries in Biddenden; George Jeffries in Bromley, Kent and Charles Jeffries in Chatham, Kent.

Looks like there are 2 daughters named Ellen -- or maybe this is an enumerator's error and the 21 year old is really Julia.

Reference: RG12/696 Folio 24 Pages 5, 6.

Trish

vabre

Default Dodge

Many thanks, Trish. The information you have given to me varies a little from the LDS 1881 Census Household Record, however I have been told that this can happen from time to time. I wiil need to digest what you have sent me but I feel that you are correct. If that is so then it looks like Harriets name was Jeffries. Am I on the right track.

Thanks......Bewildered Pam

Quote Originally Posted by vabre
    Many thanks, Trish. The information you have given to me varies a little from the LDS 1881 Census Household Record, however I have been told that this can happen from time to time. I wiil need to digest what you have sent me but I feel that you are correct. If that is so then it looks like Harriets name was Jeffries. Am I on the right track.

Thanks......Bewildered Pam
    I can understand your bewilderment, Pam.

Information does vary from census to census -- more than one would think and most notably in the age category. People seemed to forget how old they were!

What the 1891 census tells you is that Harriet's daughter, Ellen, married someone named JEFFRIES. However, at that point in time, he is somewhere else while she is living at home with her parents and her 2 young sons. Maybe he's at sea or looking for work elsewhere -- could be many reasons why he's not there.

I just checked the Civil Registration Index and there is a marriage listed for Ellen Elizabeth DODGE in the December quarter of 1886 in Lewisham. As you may know, the index only lists brides and grooms but doesn't pair them up. But there's also a Charles Wilkinson JEFFERIES listed. There's a good chance this is a match for your Ellen and her husband.

Reference: England and Wales, Civil Registration Index: 1837-1983; Volume: 1d, Page 1574

Trish

Pam,

Birth registration for Charles Wilkinson JEFFERIES:

Quarter: September
    Year: 1864
    District: Shoreditch
    County: London, Middlesex
    Volume: 1c
    Page: 169

Trish

vabre

Thumbs up Dodge

Many thanks Trish. Sorry I haven't replied to you sooner but I have been out into the country some 400 km away tracing my convict ancestors. I have located seven convicts with various AKA names and from committing crimes in England at the time of stealing clothes and food etc. and gaining seven years for the crime. The Dodge line seem to OK and convict free.
    Once again many thanks.

Pam Walton.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I too am looking for the Dodge line in Kent. Here are some of my ancestors from that area:

John Dodge
    1761–1846
    BIRTH 11 JAN 1761 • Goudhurst, Kent, England
    DEATH 1 DEC 1846 • Boughton Monchelsea, Kent, England
    Married to
    Elizabeth Thomsett
    1749–1828
    BIRTH 17 SEP 1749 • Wye, Kent, England
    DEATH 02 APR 1828 • Boughton Monchelsea, Kent, England

One of their sons:
    John Dodge
    1809–1904
    BIRTH BEF. 30 JUL 1809 • Linton, Kent, England
    DEATH 9 SEP 1904 • Maidstone, Kent, England
    Married 02 Apr 1833 • Boughton Monchelsea, Kent, England to:
    Mary Ann Walter
    1810–1893
    BIRTH 2 JUN 1810 • Loose, Maidstone, Kent, England
    DEATH 25 DEC 1893 • Boxley, Kent, England

One of their sons:
    John Dodge
    1809–1904
    BIRTH BEF. 30 JUL 1809 • Linton, Kent, England
    DEATH 9 SEP 1904 • Maidstone, Kent, England
    my 4th great-grandfather

Knowledgeable and helpful

Have you checked out Free Reg? It lists over 100 events in the name of Dodge throughout Kent between 1700 - 1800 alone.80 between 1801- 1900.

DodgeFromKent,
    A very warm welcome to Brit-gen

There's a marriage of a John Dodge and Elisabeth Thomsett, 25 Aug 1788, Boughton Monchelsea, Saints Peter and Augustine, witnesses John Backing and Henry Thomsett.

You've identified an Elizabeth Thomsett, 1749-1828 as the mother of John Dodge, bap 1809. Have you determined this Elizabeth's age when giving birth to John?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast