Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LittleSpark

You are absolutely right Peter - St. Michaels in Brierley Hill did not start doing marriages until 1837, although baptisms started in 1766.
    The 'holdings lists' for Dudley say that Holy Trinity, Wordsley was built as the new parish church for Kingswinford in 1831, replacing St. Mary's, Kingswinford. All earlier records were transferred to Holy Trinity, Wordsley - so I think my best bet would be to start looking there for the marriage you say took place in 1786.

Trish - thanks for info - will have a look for you if you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks.

Sheila

Reputation beyond repute

I would also suggest that the children's baptism details need to be checked as a matter of urgency because Patricia seems to have picked them up from IGI patron submissions!!!!

It would also be worth working further backwards in case there are earlier baptisms. Identifying the first-born with more certainty will help in identifying the right marriage.

patriciab_1

Sorry Peter I'm abit thick when it comes to parishes. When I was a little girl Mum always had to tell me twice things haven't changed much, cheers Trish.

patriciab_1

Hi All Won't to thank everyone who is helping me with my William Richarrds, it is AMAZING you have gone to so much trouble and as they say "beyond the call of duty". I've been calling this situation "the needle in the hay stack" and now I know it may be about parishes of which I have know knowledge. Once again thanks Cheers and more cheers Trish.

patriciab_1

You are right Peter I have got a fair bit of material from IGI which I'm told is not always accurate. Trish

patriciab_1

Sheila dear I don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for me t'is like waiting for a day or two and I have things to do I should say MUST do. cheers Trish

LittleSpark

Hi,
    Will try and look at baptisms if I have time - from experience the late 1700's to early 1800's are 1 line only entries and very difficult to read.
    Will start with marriage first and see where that takes me...

Sheila

LittleSpark

Hi Trish,
    Have found the following information from Dudley Archives today:
    Firstly - the marriage 'abt 1792, Brierley Hill' was in fact between William Richards and RUTH PEARSON on 20th August 1792 at Holy Trinity, Wordsley. Marriage was witnessed by Elizabeth Richards & Wm. Stokes.
    Transcripts for St. Michael, Brierley Hill shows:
    Baptism for Mary 21.7.1793 - d/o Wm. Richards and Ruth his wife.
    Baptism for William 20.4.1795 - s/o William & Ruth Richards.
    Burial for Ruth Richards 20.4.1795 aged 25 - same day as William was baptized.

William Richards married Hannah Wood 20th August 1786 (same day/month as the one above) at Holy Trinity, Wordsley.
    Marriage witnessed by Mary Lowe & George Perry.
    Have checked St. Michael, Brierely Hill Baptism/Burials Transcripts from 1766-1812 and found the following:
    Baptism 22.9.1793 - Joseph s/o William Richards & Hannah his wife.
    Baptism 21.2.1796 - John s/o William & Hannah Richards.
    Baptism 5.8.1798 - Edward s/o William & Hanh Richards.
    Baptism 28.6.1801 - Hannah d/o Willm & Hanh Richards.
    Baptism 28.8.1803 - John s/o William & ANNE Richards (?)
    Baptism 2.9.1804 - Mary Anne d/o Willm & Hanh Richards.

Burial 15.9.1784 - William Richards aged 90.
    Burial 7.6.1791 - Thomas Richards - Infant.
    Burial 9.1.1793 - William Richards aged 1.
    Burial 11.11.1800 - Edward s/o Willm & Hanh Richards aged 2.
    Burial 16.1.1803 - Hanh s/o Willm & Hanh Richards - Infant.
    Burial 8.3.1808 - John Richards - Infant.
    Burial 15.10.1809 - William Richards aged 35.

IGI shows 2 baptisms for Hannah:
    8.6.1801 - NOT in transcripts
    28.6.1802 - 1801 in transcripts.

Sorry but I couldn't find a baptism for William or Hannah.
    Hope this helps.
    Have taken a copy of the marriage for William & Hannah - pm me with your e-mail address if you want a copy and I'll send it to you.

Sheila

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12