SueNSW

Default Place names in Parish of Kelton - 1859

I'm looking at a marriage record from 25th June 1859 that took place in the Parish of Kelton at Millbank (after Banns - Church of Scotland)

The bride Agnes MUIRHEAD had Millbank shown as her place of residence whilst the groom - William CRUICKSHANKS looks to have Chipperkyle as his place of residence.

Mr Google tells me there is today a house/farm near Castle Douglas called Chipperkyle that now looks like a lovely B and B - presumably William was working either on the farm or in the vicinity (he is shown as a ploughman on the 1861 census in Balmaghie)

I am well out of my south of England comfort zone with this one and wonder if anyone can throw any light on these places

Thanks in advance
    Sue

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Looking at the same map, key in Millbank Castle Douglas. It's 3-4 odd miles south of Chipperkyle & under the name "Haugh of Urr". Google that & you'll get a lovely explanation of it.

Oh I love Google
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

SueNSW

Thanks for that - but I think it might be back to the drawing board!!!

Investigating the delightfully named "Urr's" - it appears they are in a parish of their own - Urr - which is to the east of Kelton - and today's Chipperkyle and Millbank look on the map to be within that parish

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/KKD/kkdpmap.htm

As I said - get me out of the south of England and I'm lost unfortunately

Thanks anyway

Cheers
    Sue