Richard Miller

Smile John Harvey Pierce of New Park Axminster

Hi Folks

John Harvey Prince married Jane Miller on 09 Dec 1784 at St. George in the East, Stepney, Middlesex. I am unsure about his date of birth but the year may have been 1748 as I found a baptism record for a John Harvey Prince in the same parish in this year.

What intrigues me is how he came to have wealth to purchase "New Park" near Axminster and sponsor some of his sons children to emigrate to the USA "had offered $10,000 to any of his sons who would go to America to live, having great faith in the future of this country".

On his death in 1818 he left property and land in Upchurch, Kent and property in Wapping, Middlesex as follows:-
    "3 houses in Hermitage St be first sold after the leasehold estates are disposed of then the house & land at Upchurch in the County of Kent & if these are not sufficient then the public house Ś..at Union Stairs reserving if Possible the ground rent of 4 houses on the north side of sd Hermitage St & the public house (the Edinburgh Castle) with the Wharf & Warehouses Stable & Dwelling House adjoining situated In Wapping near the Hermitage aforesaid in the County of Middlesex".

And yet there appears to be very little on record available on line of who John Harvey Pierce was how he came to have such wealth and who his ancestors were (from whom I presume he inherited his wealth)

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Richard

bibliojunkie

A quick google brought up this:

hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/answers/answers-2005/ans5-044-pierce.htm (put www in front) Any relation?

Ali

PS A Dr John Harvey Pierce is mentioned on a board on Ancestry
    Last edited by bibliojunkie; 05-03-2010 at 5:25 PM. Reason: added PS

Mutley

I suspect they were 'in trade'
    Some family history, that you obviously know, is in Wikipedia to help anyone who fancies a search.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

A very long time has gone by since this post and I'm sure you know by now that John Harvey Pierce inherited from his father, Harvey Pierce, who in turn inherited it from his uncle, Capt. John Harvey who died a very wealthy man in 1748. (Harvey Pierce died in 1750). I have spent years trying to figure out how Cap. Harvey came by his fortune. I don't think it was inherited.