Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do next

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default What to do next

Hello everyone
    I am really stuck I have a William Geach in my tree and I am trying to find out who his parents were,so that I can progress further back.
    in the 1841 census it has William being born 1791 Devon.
    1851 census it has him as being born in 1791 Bristol. But the only William Geach born in bristol was in 1777
    William was living in Devon in the 41 and 51 census
    I am not sure what to do next to progress any help would be great as I have been trying to sort this out for quite some time now

Kind regards
    Lizziejane

pattenwalsh

Hi Lizzyjane
    What to do next?.Well first is to ask how do you know that the William you have on the 1841 census is the correct one?
    And where did the 1791 birth come from?

Hollytree

I've seen the Geaches in the 1851 census, and he is 60, and born Bristol Gloucestershire, and I have the Bristol and Avon FHS cd where there is one William Geach born 1777............ so your information is correct. I did have a look on the non comformist registers cd also provided by the B&AFHS, nothing there. It could be that the William Geach who is baptised in 1777 a father, or at least a relative. Not a lot of this surname.

Sorry I cannot be of any real help

Anne

Brick wall demolition expert!

Further information on William Geach is available on Lizziejane's other post here

As the older post concerns the same research, I have closed that thread.

Please post any replies on this thread.

Brick wall demolition expert!

You need to use the Hugh Wallis site to look at the IGI batches for Stoke Damerel. A lot of Geaches.

It is possible the William Geach you are looking for adopted his fathers name but was not christened with it.
    The William Geach bapt 1772 looks to have married young or was baptised late but ready to father the William you are looking for

https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....m/~hughwallis/

Hi pattenwalsh

Sorry for the delay in answering but regarding William Geach I have come to that conclusion by working backwards
    with the help of the census and buying Certificate's either in BMDs the birth came form the census and I have got William's Death cert 1861 Eaststone House aged 71
    also the informant is a son in law

Kind regards
    Lj

Hi Anne

Thank you for looking up the info for William Geach If this William is my Williams father as someone suggested baptised late would your cds have any marriages for a William Geach
    Thats if you don't mind looking for me I know I am clucting at Straw at the mo

Kind regards
    Lj

Sorry Adele my mistake
    Lizziejane

Hollytree

Quote Originally Posted by Lizziejane View Post
    Hi Anne

Thank you for looking up the info for William Geach If this William is my Williams father as someone suggested baptised late would your cds have any marriages for a William Geach
    Thats if you don't mind looking for me I know I am clucting at Straw at the mo

Kind regards
    Lj
    Lizziejane

I have all the cds that the Bristol and Avon FHS have to offer, you can see what parishes they cover by looking on their website, and I would recommend that you do that to see what they have.... but I am sorry there is not one William GEACH or anything like that marrying in and around Bristol. There are four female marriages which if you send me a p/m I can give you, but you are looking for your elusive William.............. sorry I haven't been of much help, but they do say that a negative response at least eliminates that idea............

GEACH is quite an unusual name, do you know what its origins are and where it is most popular? That might help, I had an unusual surname, and to this day haven't found a baptism for him, but I have his father and mother by a process of elimination.

Good luck

Anne

Hollytree

"GEACH is quite an unusual name" until you look at the IGI and then you see that many are marrying and baptising in Cornwall. Dont forget that Bristol was a honeypot, and a busy port with lots of comings and goings, and it looks as if your family of Geaches were just (perhaps) passing through............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast