historian

Default The Bakery, Churchinford, Somerset

Hi

My GGrandfather Robert Rowsell ran the Bakery in Churchinford in Somerset although it was part of Devon at that time. He was living there in 1881 but had moved with his family to Pontypool in South Wales by 1891. The Bakery at Churchinford was sold by auction at the York Inn (next door) on 8 October 1889 by order of the High Court following a claim involving the SANDERS family dispute over inheritance.

If anyone has any information about Robert or the Bakery, I would be most interested to hear from them.

Foxmeister

My family ran the Bakery from 1937 until it eventually closed in 1999. My grandad ,Bert Foxwell,was apprenticed to the previous baker, Mr Knight, at the age of 13 during the Great War.
    He used to live at the Bakery,in the flour loft,all week and cycle home 15 n miles to Seaton to visit his parents and 10 siblings at the weekend. He earned 10 shillings a week and gave 8 to his mum. The ovens were coal fired and there were 3 horses until 2 had to go for the war effort. Bert and his wife took on the business in 1937 and had many memeories of the US paratroops stationed nearby in 1943/4. These were the famous "Easy" company immortalised in Band of Brothers. Many of whom wrote back from France after D day with memories of Bert's rough cider!
    Bert was a great character who almost spent VE day in prison as lit acelebration bonfire.......above the village petrol supply.
    I'm, not sure if Baker Knight took on the business from the Rowsells but he had been there for some years when grandad started.
    I'm also aware a Dame school was run fronm the House next to the Bakery which doubled as a grocery shop and living accomodation for the bakehouse. it is now the workshop of a fiurniture maker and also a micro cider brewery.Bert would be well pleased.
    Idf i can provide any more info a contact address or E mail may help.

historian

Hi

I was most interested to read about the Bakery as my grandmother Elizabeth Jane Rowsell was born there. There seemed to be a bit of a mystery as to why they left there to move to Pontypool in South Wales. I think there was something to do will a Will and the owners wanting to sell the Bakery. My email address is mary DOT newland AT talktalk DOT net

Mary
    Last edited by Jan1954; 26-07-2010 at 5:05 PM. Reason: Email address edited against spammers