Loves to help with queries

Default Looking for Philbins

Can anyone help with info on Francis Philbin. Born c1811 in Kilmore Co Sligo (as far as I can tell). He married Mary Mulrooney in Castleconnor, Co Sligo on 6-12-1835. Two children born - John on 30-5-1839 and Thomas on 23-5-1841.
    Francis was tried in Co Mayo in 1847 and transported for 10 years. He was first sent to Bermuda before being sent to Tasmania, arriving in 1850. He remarried in Tasmania before settling in Bendigo, Victoria. Here in Australia the name is now Filbin. Don't know what happened to Mary and the two boys.
    Have tried to trace the trial records and/or newspaper reports of his trial, but so far no success!! Anyone got any ideas where to fo from here?
    Great site - hope to hear from someone. Jeddah

Procat

There is a post here re the Australian side of this family. Please try to restrict this thread to the Irish family and the convict research to avoid confusion.

Nannas

Hi Jeddah,
    I'm not a FILBIN but if you check Ireland Transportation (site,,,just google) there is mention of a Francis PHILBIN,,,,gettting 10 years for sheep stealing...trial date was 19/1/1847 REF TR6 151 and also there is a 61yo Thomas PHILBIN also arrested for sheep stealing,,trial date 15/3/1847 REF TR6 152...(both Co Mayo)

Don't know if it is any connection or not..

Nannas

Loves to help with queries

Hi Nannas,
    thanks for that. Do have all that info already. My stumbling block is really records from Ireland. Have to keep searching I guess.
    All the best. Jeddah.

Geoffers

For records from Ireland - try the National Archives of Ireland.