Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by bibliojunkie View Post
    PS Apologies for interrupting your thread Colin.
    No apology necessary, Ali, I'm just glad my thread is helping you!!

RobinC

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Rowledge View Post
    This is the right family!!! I think that "Digby" could be the maiden name of the mother of Thomas who died in 1842. The last reference to the name "Digby" was in Alred Digby Fanning, the great-grandson of Thomas. Alfred Digby died in 1957.
    Did Mary reappear as "Fanning" or "Draper" in 1881?

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Did Mary reappear as "Fanning" or "Draper" in 1881?
    She appeared in 1884 on the death registration as Fanning. Family story has it that she was terminally ill in the 1880's. The only survivng child was her son Thomas Digby, who was living in Penge in 1881. She didn't appear on the 1881 census - sorry if I misled you

Colin

RobinC

She appeared in 1885 on the death registration as Fanning. Family story has it that she was terminally ill in the 1880's. The only survivng child was her son Thomas Digby, who was living in Penge in 1881. She didn't appear on the 1881 census - sorry if I misled you

Colin
    No worries, Colin.

I've found a death on freebmd for a Mary Fanning, aged 83 who died in Strand in September qtr 1884. This makes me think that she was in and around London from 1842 until 1884.

RobinC

Mary Ann Fanning living in Clerkenwell (and born there as well) in 1861 and listed as a widow:

RG9; Piece: 193; Folio: 32; Page: 13

Colin Rowledge

Mary Ann Fanning living in Clerkenwell (and born there as well) in 1861 and listed as a widow:

RG9; Piece: 193; Folio: 32; Page: 13
    While the age is relatively close, I'm not convinced that this the right one. My Mary Fanning according to the 1841 census was living in Middlesex, but is indicated as Not born in County. The one in 1861 was born in Middlesex if I read it correctly.

Colin.

Colin Rowledge

No worries, Colin.

I've found a death on freebmd for a Mary Fanning, aged 83 who died in Strand in September qtr 1884. This makes me think that she was in and around London from 1842 until 1884.
    This is I think the right one. How can you surmise the 42 year time frame?. Should I order this death cert. as well to determine if she was the widown of Thomas who died in 1842?

RobinC

While the age is relatively close, I'm not convinced that this the right one. My Mary Fanning according to the 1841 census was living in Middlesex, but is indicated as Not born in County. The one in 1861 was born in Middlesex if I read it correctly.

Colin.
    The family were living in Whitechapel which I don't think was classed as Middlesex, even in those times but I could be wrong. Mary is listed as not being born in the county but is also not listed as being born in Scotland, Ireland or Foreign parts.

I know this doesn't help us find her though!

How can you surmise the 42 year time frame?.
    I was going from Thomas's death in 1842 to Mary's death in 1884.

Colin Rowledge

Hi Robin
    Sorry if I was terse. I had to be short with my response as my 91 year old dad was in the bath-tub, needed help getting out and had to get supper underway. Dependant family members can be fun can't they?

Now that supper's underway he's, so I may have to micro-wave it when he awakens

Cheers
    Colin

Colin Rowledge

Hi Robin
    Sorry if I was terse. I had to be short with my response as my 91 year old dad was in the bath-tub, needed help getting out and had to get supper underway. Dependant family members can be fun can't they?

Now that supper's underway he's, so I may have to micro-wave it when he awakens

Cheers
    Colin

If I offended Robin and others with my posts recently on this tread I apologise sincerely. I've been torn between delving back from the death of Thomas in 1842 [see thread "The Parents of Thomas Digby Fanning" and this one because it is such a sad issue of the times the folks lived in.

Mary appears to be a very well-educated woman [as will be seen from my updates when posted on the other thread] and I'd like to keep the 2 threads seperate as I want o better understand what Mary was experiencing during the period from 1842 to when I belive she died in 1884. Looking at the details as known, we have:
    1] Death of 1st born child - a daughter in 1832
    2] Death of spouse - a Police Officer - in 1842
    3] Being the sole support of 3 children under the age of 10
    4] Her 2 other daughters possibly turning to prostitution - why is still to be determined if in fact it did happen
    5] The eldest surviving daughter died in 1847
    6] The remaining daughter - see item 4 - being a resident of an institution in 1851 involving girls previously involved in such activities and then 'mending their ways'.

In my opinion this would be enough to shatter the mental state of any mother. She disappears from view for a while but resumes her life with the support of the son Thomas Digby, who has acquired a position as an Apprentice in 1851 and sometime during the mid 1850's reunites with Mary

The one remaining daughter, leaves the instution and by the time of the 1861 census is working as a servant. This doesn't appear to last and if the person noted in post #15 is this daughter, then her past life may have caught up with her and she dies in 1875.

She 'snaps' again. By now Thomas Digby is successful in business, has a home and family and by 1881 is able to assist in Mary's financial support. She dies in 1884

There are still a few gaps that need closing, but I feel we are getting somewhere

Colin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123