Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mutley

Thumbs up Competition Entries - George Mallory

Thank you to all who entered the really simple competition.

It at first, seemed like a major brick wall, the type we face frequently when looking for our ancestors. However, by using the facts that you have, some walls can be knocked down very easily and that was the whole point of the exercise. We do know that many of you enjoyed the search and found the subject very interesting. There are some wonderful replies.

The best replies have been chosen in a poll by the moderators and Bo Peep. (Please contact Bo Peep regarding your prize)
    Congratulations to
    1st choice, KERRYWOOD
    2nd Choice, JELLYLEGS

Please feel free to add your comments on the subject if you wish.

Mutley

Thumbs up

Mona, received 11.20 p.m. on 11 Feb

1. George Leigh Mallory

2. I did achieve my aim to climb Mount Everest.

He had promised his wife Ruth, to leave a photograph of her at the top of the mountain. When his frozen body was found at 8160 m. (in 1999) no photograph of Ruth was found on Mallory, he must have left it on the summit!

Another clue was that Mallory's snow goggles were found in his pocket, suggesting that he and his climbing partner Irvine had made a push for the summit and were descending after sunset.

Mutley

Thumbs up

AdeleE, received 09.25 p.m. on 11 Feb

1. Full name - George Herbert Leigh Mallory
    2. Did I achieve my aim?

His aim was to climb Mount Everest is 1924. Whether he reached the summit is unresolved. He and his climbing partner Andrew Irvine disappeared on the mountain. George Mallory's body was discovered in 1999 by the "Mallory & Irvine Research Expedition. His daughter claimed that Mallory had a photo of his wife Ruth with him that he was going to leave on the summit. The photo was not found on Mallory's body. Because his frozen body, garments and belongings were so well preserved when found in 1999, and no photo was on his person, this may indicate that he reached the summit.
    He apparently also had a camera that has never been found. If this is discovered and the film can be saved, then the photos on the film may resolve the issue.

Mutley

Thumbs up

Thomasin, received 12.40 a.m. on 12 Feb

1. George Herbert Leigh Mallory

2. Did I achieve my aim - to reach the summit of Mount Everest with Andrew Irvine in 1924? That is what you will have to decide...

We were last seen alive by a geologist far below, when we were a short distance from the summit. In 1975 a Chinese climber came across my frozen body (and took my ice axe), but Andrew has never been found. In 1999 a British search party found me again, and identified me by my name on my clothing. They decided that we had slipped and fallen, as I had a rope round my middle that had caused a rope-jerk injury to my waist.

Had we reached the summit and then begun to descend after sunset? The fact that my snow goggles were in my pocket would seem to suggest this, because after the sun had set there would be no danger of snow-blindness. If, on the other hand, we had not reached the final critical stage, we would not still have been climbing at this late hour.

Those who discovered me also discovered all the intact contents of my wallet, where I had carried a photograph of my wife to leave on the summit. When they found me, this photograph was not there. Did I leave it at the summit, as I intended? No-one has found it, but that is not surprising, given the frequent snowfalls which would bury anything.

If you find the camera that we had with us, you will see some very interesting photographs. Then you will know the truth.

Mutley

Thumbs up

Kerrywood, received 09.15 a.m. on 13 Feb

1. What is my full name?

George Herbert Leigh MALLORY

2. Did I achieve my aim?

The Himalayas beckoned me in 1924
    I'd been defeated earlier but still went back for more
    "Why do it, why climb Everest?", they asked me in despair
    Impatiently I turned to them and said "Because it’s there".

We set off from the base camp, where others stayed behind
    Observing through binoculars till they became snow-blind
    They thought we'd never make it, for we'd failed in '22
    But this time we had oxygen to help us see it through.

I'd climbed before with Irvine, and we made a valiant pair
    With ropes and picks and axes, and goggles 'gainst the glare.
    Our goal was clear, we had no fear, there was no need to speak
    We knew that we could make it to the summit of that peak.

The weather in our favour, we had no sense of dread
    Till Irvine slipped, his harness ripped, his ice-axe caught my head
    Our end was nigh, with snow and sky a mass of blinding white
    And those below would never know, for we were lost to sight.

'Twas 75 years later when they found me in the snow
    My clothing, clearly labelled, told them what they sought to know.
    They thought we'd failed to reach the top, and yet they couldn't tell
    If we'd been up and back before the accident befell.

Now grandson George, a mountaineer, in 1995
    Climbed Everest via the North Ridge, to keep family hopes alive.
    A photo of his Granddad he deposited up there
    To complete "Unfinished Business" building castles in the air.

Mutley

Thumbs up

Davran, received 11.53 p.m. on 11 Feb

1) George Herbert Leigh Mallory (1886-1924) was a famous mountaineer, who took part in the first attempts to scale Mount Everest in the 1920s.
    2) It is unknown whether he reached the summit on his last expedition in 1924 – his body was not found until 1999.

Mutley

Thumbs up

lesleys, received 02.05 p.m. on 13 Feb

George Herbert Leigh Mallory.

As to whether 'you' acheived your aim we shall probably never know but I certainly hope you did, all that effort should not have been in vain.

Lesley

Mutley

Thumbs up

AnnB, received 05.10 p.m. on 13 Feb

1) George Herbert Leigh Mallory
    2) Who knows......?!

Mutley

Thumbs up

terrysfamily, received 09.12 p.m. 13 Feb

What is my full name? George Herbert Leigh Mallory
    Did I achieve my aim? If his aim was to climb Mount Everest, then yes he achieved his aim but as to whether he actually reached the summit…… I’ll leave you to lose sleep over that one.

Clues:
    I was born in Cheshire in the 1880s, my father was a minister.
    b.18 June 1886, his father was Herbert Leigh Mallory (1856–1943), a clergyman who changed his surname to Leigh-Mallory in 1914

I studied at Cambridge. In October 1905, he entered Magdalene College, Cambridge to study history

I became a teacher in Surrey where I met my wife. Christiana Ruth Turner
    We married in 1914. September Qtr 1914
    During the war I was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery. Royal Garrison Artillery
    My brother was a WWII RAF Commander. Air Chief Marshal Sir Trafford Leigh-Mallory - Air Commander-in-Chief of South East Asia Command (Births Sep 1892 Mallory Trafford Leigh)
    Ruth and I had three children. The youngest, John, emigrated to South Africa. His son, my grandson, and namesake, followed in my footsteps.Births Dec 1915 MALLORY Frances C TURNER Guildford 2a 174a
    MALLORY Female TURNER Guildford 2a 174
    Births Dec 1917 Mallory Seridge R Turner Guildford 2a 154
    Births Sep 1920 Mallory John Turner Guildford 2a 235

Ruth died in 1942 aged 50.

Mutley

Thumbs up

Máguari, received 10.01 p.m. 13 Feb

1. Full name: George Herbert Leigh Mallory
    born 18 June 1886 son of Herbert Leigh Mallory, a clergyman; studied at Magdalene College, Cambridge; taught at Charterhouse School, Godalming, Surrey where he met his wife, Ruth Turner; they were married in 1914; second lieutenant in the Royal Garrison Artillery; brother Trafford Leigh-Mallory, Royal Flying Corps pilot and squadron commander; two daughters and one son; son, John, went to South Africa; grandson, George Mallory, climbed Mount Everest; Ruth died 1942, aged 50.

2. Did George Herbert Leigh Mallory achieve his aim?
    What was his aim - to be the first man to successfully complete an ascent of Mount Everest and live to tell about it or to reach the summit of Everest and place his wife’s photograph there?

George Mallory's son, John Mallory, allegedly said: "To me the only way you achieve a summit is to come back alive. The job is half done if you don't get down again." Understandably, Sir Edmund Hillary had a similar opinion. If George Mallory shared this viewpoint, then he did not achieve his aim.

If his aim was to reach the summit and leave the photograph, the evidence is inconclusive, but it is suggestive that the photograph was not found when Mallory’s body was discovered in 1999. Jeffery Archer says that Mallory made it to the top and was killed during his descent from the summit and, since Archer has an impeccable and undisputed reputation for truth telling, we must conclude that Mallory did, indeed, achieve his aim.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast