Mountaineering
    Father Herbert Leigh Mallory
    Magdalene College Cambridge
    Charterhouse College Godalming Surrey
    Wife Ruth Turner
    Brother Trafford Leigh Mallory
    Children Clare, Beridge and John
    Grandson George Mallory climbed Everest in 1999
    Ruth married Will Arnold Forster in 1939 cant find where she died though.

Julie

Mutley

Thumbs up

Pipsqueak, received 12.56 a.m. on 16 Feb

1. George Herbert Leigh Mallory

2. He was aiming for the top (of Everest) and probably made it. It's a pity no-one knows for sure.

Mutley

Thumbs up

gortonboy, received 11.18 a.m. on 16 Feb

question 1- George Herbert Leigh Mallory

question 2- After a great deal of thought,i decided that the answer to the question depended on what you considered Mallorys aim was.
    If his aim was to be recognized as the first man to conquer the summit of Everest,,then he failed.
    If however,his aim was to carry on the great british tradition of inventors,explorers and pioneers,if his aim was to be an inspiration to those that followed in his footsteps,,then i believe that on May 14th,1995,when his grandson George Mallory stood proudly on the summit of Mount Everest,,that he achieved his aim.

Mutley

Thumbs up

michaelpipe received 11.39 a.m. on 16 Feb

1 What is his full name? George Herbert Leigh MALLORY

2 Did he achieve his aim?
    Yes, he died doing what he loved doing.
    If the aim was to reach the summit of Everest, then perhaps not. However, the photo that he carried with him of his wife Ruth was never found on his body – he had said to his daughter that he would leave it on the summit.

He reportedly responded to the question “Why?”, with the answer “Because it's there”. So his aim was to climb, and he succeeded admirably.

Mutley

Thumbs up

JennyP, received 05.44 p.m. on 16 Feb

1 George Herbert Leigh Mallory

2 When touring the US, Mallory had boldly claimed that this next time would be different. I think there is no doubt he would have been in the mood to go for it or die in the attempt so I don't hold with any of the theories that he turned back for whatever reason. Also I go for the story that he carried a photo of his wife that he intended to leave at the summit and though other documents were found on his well preserved body, the photo was not. A perfect, romantic touch to a story of human endeavour and courage. I think he achieved his aim.

Mutley

Thumbs up

Jellylegs, received 12.53 a.m. 17 Feb

Question 1: What is my full name?
    George Herbert Leigh MALLORY

Question 2: Did I achieve my aim?
    George’s aim was to make the first ascent (first successful, documented attainment of the top of a mountain) of the world’s highest mountain.

In early June 1924 George Mallory and his climbing partner, Andrew Irvine, went missing during their attempt to make the first ascent of Mount Everest.

George’s body was discovered (almost perfectly preserved) in 1999. The body of his partner is yet to be discovered, though a couple of possible sightings have been reported.

To date, there is no evidence as to whether or not either George Mallory or Andrew Irvine reached the summit before they died – cameras they may have carried which could give the answer, have never been found.

So, I think the answer to the second question is neither yes nor no – as it is open to continued speculation.

Having read quite a bit on this (thanks, Mutley – it was so interesting), on one free site, it is written that certain mountaineers say “making a successful first ascent” is "reaching the summit and making it back down alive” and on that same site, George's son John is alleged to have said "To me the only way you achieve a summit is to come back alive. The job is half done if you don't come down again" which seems a pretty harsh thing for a son to say.

George’s Grandson, also named George Mallory, reached the summit of Everest in 1995 and left there a picture of his grandparents George and Ruth. So although officially whether or not George reached the summit is still to be proved, I personally would argue that George did achieve his aim, as to me to attain is to reach, and he did this by having his picture placed at the summit (a contradiction to my official answer, I know, but I’m a big softy at heart - and confusing myself the more I write ).

Mutley

Thumbs up

arthurk, received 7.33 p.m. 17 Feb

2. It's tempting to resort to some kind of "Yes and No" answer, or to wander off into things like the Observer Effect and the question of Schrödinger's Cat. There's scope for an interesting and lengthy discussion there, but I'll try instead to be brief and (I hope) logical.

Since we cannot be sure whether there were any earlier unrecorded ascents of Everest, the best summary of the aim (insofar as we can presume to read another man's mind) would be "to make the first recorded ascent of Everest". This can be broken down into (a) reaching the summit of Everest, (b) recording the fact, and (c) returning with the evidence. Taking these one by one:

(a) Although circumstantial evidence may indicate that it is fairly likely that Mallory did reach the summit of Everest, there is no proof of this, so the answer to this part has to be "Don't Know".

(b) Similarly, since the camera has not been found the answer to this part must also be "Don't Know".

(c) The answer to this part is clearly "No".

The overall answer, then, has to be "No". If the camera were ever found and provided proof of a successful ascent, then it would be tempting to think that the "Yes" to (a) and (b) would override (c) and lead to an overall "Yes". However, while the evidence would then have been presented to the world, to call the whole venture a success would be to imply that Mallory did not aim to return and do this himself. So on balance, I think the answer still has to be "No".

Mutley

Thumbs up

ET in the USA, received 5.11 p.m. on 18 Feb

Answer
    1. George Herbert Leigh-Mallory

2. It seems likely that due to lack of oxygen, they did not reach the summit & the climbing pair was on their way back to camp when Mallory fell & while trying to stop his slide, fatally injured himself with his ice ax. As he lay dying, he took out the photo of his wife, Ruth, which he had intended to place at the summit & with one final kiss, set the photo free in the wind in the hope that it would reach the summit in his place. The photograph has not been found, so it is likely that Ruth Mallory not only reached the summit, but also went higher & reached unknown heights, as did her husband, to heaven.

Mutley

Thumbs up

Dorset Girl, received 1.30 p.m. on 19 Feb

The Competition
    Have been offline for a few days so just seen this.

Had to do it "because it was there"!!

A) George Leigh Mallory is his name

B) An ambiguous question. You and I will probably never know - no one has yet proved or disproved that he achieved climbing to the top of Everest - but he did achieve his aim of climbing higher than any other climber. Previously climbers only reached 24600 feet - it is believed that on 8th June 1924 Odell saw Mallory approaching a ledge about 27800 feet !!!! viz

"New Expedition Finds Mallory's Body

In 1999 the Mallory and Irvine Research Expedition was launched to try and find the climbers' bodies and to determine whether they had, in fact, been the first to reach the summit of Mt. Everest or whether they had died in the attempt. The explorers found Mallory's body below the First Step. Odell, the last person to see him alive, had seen him some 435 meters higher, which suggests that he was descending the mountain. While other evidence also indicated that he had reached the summit and was climbing down, it was not viewed as entirely conclusive. Mallory had been carrying two bottles of oxygen, but neither of them was with his body, which suggests that he had used both of them, discarded them, and was descending. The position of his body, and the injuries he sustained, indicated that he lost his footing and fell to his death. In addition, Mallory had a rope tied around his waist, indicating that he must have been roped to Irvine - a common practice among climbers - when he fell. The rope had broken cleanly, as if it had snapped from the sudden tension.

Mallory's altimeter and watch were both broken and his camera, if he had one, was missing, so that no concrete evidence remains to tell us whether the two men actually reached the peak. Firstbrook wrote in Lost on Everest, "The camera, if found, will be with Irvine - faithful and dependable, even in death. But if they summitted at night, there will be no photographic record of their achievement." The writer also noted, "Whether they reached the summit or not, George Mallory and Sandy Irvine set the world an example. Their determination, bravery and heroism inspired generations of climbers to face the challenge of a mountain, to hold ambitions dear, to work together and to persevere until the summit is reached. Their story, their aspiration and their energy is an example to us all. In death, as in life, they remain together on the mountain; they are in every way, the men of Everest."

While Irvine's body was never found, the expedition concluded from the evidence that he probably survived the fall but then died of exposure. If his body is ever found, it could provide more clues as to whether Irvine and Mallory were in fact the first people to reach the top of Mt. Everest."

Firstbrook, P. L., Lost on Everest, Contemporary Books, 2000.

Unfortunately, 99% of the evidence (but not the hopes of well-wishers) indicate he could not possibly have succeeded. The main reasons are: 1) Insufficient oxygen--eight hours for a minimum 12-hour climb. 2) Totally inadequate clothing warm only to 14F and in still air. (They were caught in a howling blizzard for 2 hours.) 3) The extreme difficulty of the Second Step cliff.
    It is true that had mallory taken his partner Andrew Irvine's remaining oxygen, and continued up alone, he might (1%) have reached the top. But mallory's corpse exhibited severe rope-jerk injury, showing the two were roped together in a fall.

See https://www.velocitypress.com/mallory_irvine.shtml for one comprehensive theory of what happened to these two pioneers of Everest.

Mutley

Thumbs up

bibliojunkie, received 2.54 p.m. on 19 Feb

2. No. However, a fair few folk believe he did summit Everest and was on his way down when he fell to his death.......

Thanks for organising the competition Mutley. As one of the four 'witches of mountaineering literature' (so called by climber), I have to say the answers were easy-peasy for me. Next to my computer is a framed print of a wonderfully evocative photo of Ruth and George in his uniform.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast