Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Jack Richards

Default Placing a speadsheet on a web page - Please.

Hi Friends.

Please can any of you provide me with some guidance.

Problem : I have created a spreadsheet that I want to place within a page on my web site (address below after my signature) and cannot work out how to do so. I suspect it is easy to do so. Let me explain.

Fact : The spreadsheet is wide enough to just fit on an A4 page in landscape mode. It is 101 cells deep, top to bottom.

I have created it in Open Office v.3. and saved it as a ms. xls - named jack.xls. I cannot save it as a .txt. I cannot seem to be able to use .xls within the html coding but I can use the .jpg with no problem.

My temporary solution : I have split the spreadheet into three separate pages, each about 34 cells deep. Then I have printed them off individually as hard copy and then scanned each page and saved each one as a .jpeg. The 34 cells fits my A4 printer in landscape mode. No problem placing them on the said page as jpegs. I now have 3 separate spreadsheets on my web site. (see my web site, book 3 on left and the Village school page 1. I can scroll them up/down/left'right hence I have no problem with the html coding.

The problem for me is saving the full spreadsheet as a "save as dot ???."

Please can any of you offer me guidance re the saving of the spreadsheet in the first instance.

If interested, please go to my web site, book 3 from left on bookshelf and the Village school, page 1.

Kindest regards
    Last edited by Jack Richards; 19-02-2010 at 1:58 PM. Reason: last line missed off posting.

Reputation beyond repute

I assume you're a Windows man.

Have a look for the free software AscToTab (JafSoft Limited), the filename is asctab40.zip. I've used it and it's useful. It generates proper HTML from a spreadsheet. It's nice clean basic HTML ready for to use with your own style sheet

1. Save the spreadsheet as CSV
    2. Run AscToTab
    3. Upload the HTML file to your web site

I have used Excel's "Save as HTML" and it is absolutely useless

MarkJ

Hi Jack,

Why not save it as a html file directly? That is what I do with my spreadsheets of baptisms etc when I want them online. OpenOffice (and MS Office) both allow you to save your spreadsheet as a html file which is then ready for your website (although of course you may like to tweak it a bit more). As an example, I have a spreadsheet here called st_mawgan_churchyard, which is saved in the .ods format (the open document spreadsheet standard - but it could just as easily be in .xls format). If I load it into OpenOffice, then click File > Save As... I get the choice of options via a drop down menu - including HTML Document (OpenOffice.org Calc) (.html) which is the one I would pick.

Hope this helps - but if not, shout!

Mark

Edit: I agree with Peters comments that the html tends to be a bit bloated and not 100% w3c certifiable, but it may be OK for your purposes. I always edit any code created by any program by hand anyway when dealing with websites - even the WYSIWYG programs tend to add extra bloat!

Jack Richards

Hi Peter and Mark

Thank you for your suggestions, they are so appreciated.

Mark, in relation to your suggestion relating to saving it as an html document, that was one of my early tries and I could not make it work within "my html coding" on my site.

Having noted both replies, it is my intention to try again and I will reply again to the thread in due course.

The school I mentioned is 100 years old this coming Sunday, 21 Feb. but with the school on half term holiday, it will be the next day Monday, when they celebrate the anniversary. Victorian costumes an' all.

I'm trying to get some "extra stuff" in the post to send to the school in time for the "big day".

Kindest regards

Reputation beyond repute

I have never tried saving as HTML from OpenOffice but the problem I had with Excel is the amount of formatting 'noise' in the HTML file. This makes it almost impossible to integrate it within an existing site. AscToTab neatly circumvented that problem.

The spreadsheet on this page was prepared in Excel and converted with AscToTab

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    I have never tried saving as HTML from OpenOffice but the problem I had with Excel is the amount of formatting 'noise' in the HTML file. This makes it almost impossible to integrate it within an existing site. AscToTab neatly circumvented that problem.
    Converting directly from Excel itself to html, I have not tried, but I do receive spreadsheets created in Excel for inclusion on the St Enoder OPC website. Those - when opened in OpenOffice and then saved as html create a lot of extra junk - SDNUM and SDVAL being the biggest pains I find. OpenOffice doesn't tend to do that when working with the native file formats. I would still want to manually check the html though if I had the time - there is always something which can be pruned or edited. Nowadays, I tend to work along the lines of - If it verifies with w3c, then it is OK

Mark

Jack Richards

Hi Friends
    I've just spent time following Marks advice but am struggling with this one.

My html coding is correct, so the error is with the dot.extn (my wording). For this test I've called the 100 lines spreadsheet jack. If I give it the extension either .xls, .htm, or .html - I get an error message to the effect "Internet explorer cannot display this web page etc. " All my files, images etc. for my web site are kept in a folder named Upload. Most files have an extention html or jpg. The file/spreadsheet jack that I have just created has no extension.

I then left it just as jack but in my coding for my web page I typed jack.txt. Surprise - it nearly worked, but the html when I looked at it was a right mix up, a mismash.

Also, I can see that when I save it as an html from the drop down menu, when I manage to find the option, does produce a document (i.e. my spreadsheet) as an html document as it would appear on a web site.
    However, I cannot get that document (i.e.my spreadsheet) to display within my page, it has the above error message.

I will keep "fiddling" with it.

Meanwhile, thank you all for your interest, please if you have the time, keep trying for me. I'm hoping I'm explaining my problem correctly.

Kindest regards

Reputation beyond repute

please if you have the time, keep trying for me
    I'm afraid I'm not going to keep trying because I've suggested a very simple method that works. See message #2

OpenOffice seems to suffer from similar drawbacks to Excel when saving in HTML.

Jack Richards

Hi Friends

Success, we've done it or should it be "eureka"?

In my last posting I wrote that I had the document (i.e.my spreadsheet) just named jack in my Upload folder. What I did was, right mouse click and renamed it jack.html and clicked save. Immediately it came up as that new name.

Next, I went into my coding on the web page - right click, view source and then typed the extension dot html and save, refresh and hey presto there it was, as I wanted it.

Thanks to Peter and Mark for helping me, and those who viewed this thread, as I mentioned previously I really am appreciative of your postings.

I note from the postings mention of SDVAL and SDNUM. I have not come across this before - I'm self taught with html using an idiots guide - but those 2 words appear all over the coding mentioned above when I tried the extension dot.txt that nearly worked.

I am now going to have a go with Peters AscToTab and try that one.

Kindest regards
    Last edited by Jack Richards; 19-02-2010 at 4:38 PM. Reason: missing sentence

MarkJ

Ah - that is something to do with the spreadsheet side of things Jack. I remove them because they are not valid html and stop my pages from validating. They don't actually show on the webpage, but they do bloat the page somewhat

AscToTab sounds interesting - I will have a look at that myself. I expect it is Windows only, but handy to know these things to pass on to others.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast