Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I use another method but that before the web editor will format text into tables.

I create the web page, tiles width etc and the copy the spreadsheet and paste in to the web editor.

High light the text and click on one icon and the page is formatted.

An example is here and if you view the code you can see what I mean.

Jack Richards

Hi Peter, Mark and Neil

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Sincerest apologies Peter if I have caused offence.

I have now downloaded the AscToTab and am trying to use it but have not yet got the hang of it. It appears to be a brilliant little program and I was surprised to see the author lives withi a couple of miles to me.

The difficulties at present are the Invalid Input Directory, yes I have saved the file with a dot.csv - also the output directory. I will have another look in the morning when I am fresh.

Thanks for your reply, Neil. Yes, I can see the coding via view source. I will also work on that one in the morning.

Hopefully, other friends on this forum will learn from the replies being provided to my original request. Most certainly, I have done so.

I will reply when I have had another go at Peters suggestion.

Kindest regards

Jack Richards

Hi Peter, Mark, Neil and friends viewing this thread.

Neil, I've looked at your response and again thanks for your reply but the alternative method you suggested, whilst it will provide a solution, it actually works in reverse to what I was asking. Having said that, Neil I appreciate your time and effort in responding to my request and it is an alternative method.

Please let me explain. Your method uses html code as follows:
    <table BORDER CELLSPACING="1" BORDERCOLOR="#050500" CELLPADDING="0" WIDTH="441">
    <tr> <td WIDTH="17%"> <div style="text-align: left">SURNAME </td>
    <td WIDTH="17%"> <div style="text-align: left">FORENAME </td>
    <td WIDTH="17%"> <div style="text-align: center">AGE </td>
    <td WIDTH="17%"> <div style="text-align: center">FOLIO </td>
    <td WIDTH="17%"> <div style="text-align: center">PAGE </td>
    <td WIDTH="17%"> <div style="text-align: center">SCHEDULE </td> </tr>
    and then repeating the code again but instead of the word "SURNAME" inserting the word say RICHARDS and next line forename JACK. In my example, you would repeat this coding 101 times in html.

I use html coding to achieve the same object / template for census information on my web site as folows :
    <TABLE BORDER="1" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="4">
    <TR>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> Name </TD>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> Status </TD>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> M / F</TD>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> Age</TD>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> Marr.<br> or S</TD>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> Yrs.<br> marr.</TD>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> Occupation</TD>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> ????</TD>
    <TD ALIGN ="center"> Born </TD></TR>

Both achieve the same objects. However, using this method, we then look at the actual web site and to revert it to something like a speadsheet, we have to "print screen" or similar method of "copy" to produce a hard copy. To achieve
    the aforementioned method for a web site, it means all the information is "in putted" in html form, so for example using my coding, you would have to repeat this coding 101 times. It can be infuriating with html, if you get one little letter or item wrong, trying to put it right.

I am looking at it the opposite way, that is to say, either create a spreadsheet from scratch or "inherit one" and then convert it to an html document to insert within a page of a web site.
    This way, the original spreadsheet is easier and quicker to prepare than is an html document.

Peter makes reference to Excel and "hiccups", whilst I use Open Office calc.

I'm going to work on Peters suggestion a.s.a. p. It looks really promising.

Kindest regards
    Last edited by Jack Richards; 20-02-2010 at 12:41 AM. Reason: spacing of lines

Reputation beyond repute

1. From Open Office, save as Text CSV (.csv)

2. Run AscToTab

3. Open the resulting HTML file as a text file. Copy everything from <TABLE> to </TABLE>.

4. Open the HTML file where you want the spreadsheet to display (open as text). Paste the above code in the appropriate place. Save the file.

mfwebb

Default Thanks for the tips here

I have followed this thread with interest, although I have nothing meaningful to add, and I thank those who have contributed for the tips given.

I had no idea how to embed a spreadsheet in a webpage and have to say I am greatly impressed with how it looks and operates.

My own way to do this, up to now, has been to save the spreadsheet, or whatever it might be, as a pdf file then upload the pdf to the webspace and link to it from the appropriate place on the relevant webpage.

For creating pdf files from any source document I use a free download called CutePDF.

MarkJ

I think everyone designs their sites in their own way. Some like to use javascript for example whilst others refuse (like me).

Spreadsheets can be used for a whole host of different things, but for the purposes of displaying a table of records online, I feel it is easier for the end user to have a table of data to view straight away, rather than having to download a document to view in their own time later.
    An example of one of my spreadsheet coversions -

https://www.kernowyon.co.uk/enoder/ba...1803-1812.html

That page - like the other parish register entries etc on my site - is converted from a spreadsheet to a table using the Save As function in my spreadsheet software and saved as html - which creates the basic table layout. I do tweak the table a bit afterwards - removing some of the extra fluff and adding my own background colour etc, but the basic table is done by the OpenOffice program (or, if I used Windows, I guess I could use MS Office or OpenOffice etc).
    Peter's suggestion of AscToTab is perhaps a cleaner way - because you are converting a .csv file direct - which should result in cleaner html. But this is the way I do it and have done so for several years now - mostly because the transcripts come to me as .xls spreadsheets and I can just go through my usual steps to convert them for the web
    The AscToTab program looks good - I was looking last night, but there isn't a Linux version I could find

Mark

Jack Richards

Hi Peter, Mark, Neil and friends viewing this thread.

As mentioned in one of my previous posts on this thread I've followed Peters advice and downloaded the AscToTab. I'm still having a minor difficulty with it but my first reaction is that it is ideal for what I was requesting in my first thread - Placing a spreadsheet on a web site. From hereon, I will use AscToTab.

Meanwhile, Peter I followed you advice (well almost) and almost got it right. I've made a slight mistake somewhere. All the info. on my small test spreadsheet converted over to html, but has somehow got mixed up.

I need to spend a bit more time on it, I think it may have something to do with the <Table> to </Table>.

Mark, I looked at your example and then clicked "View Source" to look at the html coding. Am I correct in thinking that this resulting html coding is the natural result of your method as opposed to a particular marketed programme.

I know you are exceptionally experienced in computing (hope that's the correct title), whereas I'm self taught with my web site and html. Also, I realise Peter and Neil are also experienced.

Kindest regards

Jack
    I am self taught as well, just been at it a lot longer I suspect.

MarkJ

As you say Jack, that is the result of a .xls file converted to html using OpenOffice and then the unwanted SDNUM etc removed.
    But without those extras removed, the actual table would still look the same (without the background and my little footers of course).
    Like you, I self taught myself html many years ago but in the main I tend to just allow OpenOffice to do the work with those .xls files and do a very quick cleanup of the resulting code. At some point, I keep meaning to go through my site and clean the code some more - some of the pages are quite a lash up, with CSS and html markup giving the exact same thing - so one of them could be removed But it is just my laziness in those cases I am afraid!

I use a variety of things - from text editors through to a basic WYSIWYG editor (which is just a jazzed up version of the classic Netscape Composer actually). Very occasionally I use other things, but in the main those are the main tools I use.

Mark

Edit: Ah - Neil is self taught too

gibo

Lightbulb Spreadsheet viewing as pdf file

Guys,
    I note with interest all the debate about converting files to html. I would suggest that perhaps you don't need it in a spreadsheet format anyway. If the point of displaying the spread sheet is for reading only - why not have it display as a "pdf" file. It is quite easy to convert any document e.g. doc or excel spreadsheet included - to a "pdf" (portable document format). Adobe supply a free reader for this format and most users have this on their windows machines already. Easy to download if you need it.
    This is handy for viewing and printing (but no good for editing). Once you have a pdf file you simply put it in the same directory (folder) as where your html files reside. To view it make a link to it from a legit html file and your browser opens it (and you can view it or print it). There are several free pdf creators. I use "cutepdf" and "dopdf".
    They work like a printer and when installed you hit the print option and select the pdf printer and it creates the file for you. They can be downloaded from filehippo.com if you need it. Have fun.
    Last edited by Neil Wilson; 22-02-2010 at 7:25 PM. Reason: commercial link removed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast