Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJackson View Post
    Wonder if the Loombe name persists here in South Africa somewhere?
    Type Loombe into NAAIRS for all RSA and you get two hits, both concerning John Loombe Culham. Looks like his wife was called Mary Elizabeth and they lived in Natal.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

JohnJackson

I've now found Florence WYLIE Spence in South Africa divorced in 1930, m. to Darnley and predeceasing Charles Edward Levett in 1965. Florence has her g'mothers surname as a forename as all her uncles & aunts had too but not her mother.

Also:
    DEPOT KAB SOURCE CSC
    TYPE LEER VOLUME_NO 2/1/1/1451 SYSTEM 01 REFERENCE 679 PART 1
    DESCRIPTION ILLIQUID CASE. RESTITUTION OF CONJUGAL RIGHTS. EVELYN LOUIE ROSE MEREDITH, (BORN SPENCE) VERSUS PAUL CYRIL STANLEY MEREDITH.
    STARTING 19430000 ENDING 19430000

don't know about the new forenames but ............

JohnJackson

If there's anyone out there interested in my search for relatives in South Africa perhaps you may be interested in the following:

Today I visited the Cape Town Office of the South Africa in Roeland Street. The facilities were excellent with up to 3 sets of files arriving on your desk within 5 minutes. There is only access to "hard copy" and documents held in other provinces are not available other than by ordering copies in electronic or photocopied format. There was another couple from Stoke on Trent entering with us hoping to find a Death Notice for their grandfather - there was none but they discovered him ending his life in a mental hospital - as we left they were searching for other possible children born in CT. We found a William Spence lieutenant pilot in SAAF son of William Spence killed over Yugoslavia in WW2. The detailed documents included some that indicated father was part of William Spence & Son of East London with origins in 1910 in Kimberley. Could this be where Polly's husband and his son established their business? Not Polly's son William though as he dies in 1917 so perhaps not ....

JohnJackson

For those interested in visiting the National Archive Office at 24 Hamilton St., Pretoria you may be interested in these observations of my visit today:

After a 2 hour drive from Johannesburg through the roadworks which are the N1 we found the imposing building with first class parking facilities. The 3 lines of security took only 15 minutes and so by just after midday we occupied desk 5 and I submitted my requests for documents as detailed above in Cape Town. The two archivists ignored my slip when I placed it on the receiving area so a called across to ask how long it might take - they replied that everyone who would fetch the documents were at lunch so we'd need to sit there for 90 minutes. There were lots of others waiting and so I told them that their requests I'd seen were similarly delayed and we left. We were back in Jo'burg by 1pm - with no further information.

South African's say that Cape Town, called locally The Mother City, is slow against the fast pace of Gauteng Province, which includes Jo'burg & Pretoria, but I, like many other national & international researchers, wanted support and an occasional smile - you won't get it in Gauteng. We return to the UK in 2 days so our researches will need to wait till another year.

Oh dear! You may need to get the copies from eggsa after all! Am in Scotland at present so have only just seen your update
    Sue Mackay

JohnJackson

This looks as though I've stopped researching but most of my leads have dried up. The marriage certificate for the the Spence/Brooke marriage is somewhere in the post I hope .... after 3 weeks wait. The burgers of Lindley in the Free State have a web site to which I've written (including the local historian) won't answer. The Spence link to the next generation believe there was a cross over but since then....... nothing. Back here in the UK through Genes Reunited I've made a link to their 6th child Iris's husband Wilfred Chicken. They visited the UK from SA in 1949 and without Iris in 1960. We have 2 daughters Denise & another ages 21 & 22 in 1949.

JohnJackson

Marriage certificate arrived today (8 days in the post) and confirms that William Spence's father was a bookseller so my supposition from the 1881 census seems correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJackson View Post
    Marriage certificate arrived today (8 days in the post) and confirms that William Spence's father was a bookseller so my supposition from the 1881 census seems correct.
    Good oh. I seem to have lost what your supposition was re 1881. What was William's father's name?
    Sue Mackay

JohnJackson

My supposition ref William Spence was that if he's living in Lossiemouth at the birth of some of their children then maybe he comes from there and I thought I'd found him in 1881 as an apprentice Draper living with his 6 siblings at 20, North St., New Spynie, Elgin, Scotland. William gives his occupation in 1888 in Branderburgh, Lossiemouth when their second child (another William Hector) is born as a Draper. The Spence father's occupation is given as bookseller's assistant at Polly & William's marriage. I then discovered the parent's marriage in Glasgow in 1862 from details on the birth certificate of Hector Alexander Spence in 1874 where the mother's name is given as Amelia McNeil. All this depended on my discovery of Polly's husband William Spence with the correct birth year in 1881 - not watertight I realised but I'm now 95% convinced. I heard that the name Hector runs through the South African surviving family but little else of substance.

Right, looks good. Ancestry has indexes only to the Scottish census (no original image) but this looks like the family in 1871

Commerce Buildings, Elgin

William SPENCE 34 Shopman Bookseller b Turriff, Aberdeenshire
    Amelia SPENCE 33 b Ireland
    Wm SPENCE 7 scholar b Glasgow, Lanarkshire
    John SPENCE 4 b Elgin
    Peter SPENCE 2 b Elgin
    Eliza Isabella SPENCE 3 months b Elgin

So it looks like you might have to look in Glasgow for William's birth?
    Sue Mackay

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast