paulphillips25

Default Joseph Phillips H.M.S Fortune Jutland 1916

Hello all,
    I am trying to discover if a Joseph Phillips, Stoker 276610 who died on H.M.S. Fortune 1916 at Jutland is the same one as in my family tree. I need some way of proving this. His brother Owen (who died on H.M.S. Bulwark) was easy as his CWGC entry states Husband of Alice, but Josephs entry has no personal information. How can I find the date of birth or home town of the Joseph Phillips above?

Any help appreciated.
    Rgds
    Paul

SueNSW

Hi Paul

The NA has downloadable (for a small fee) Royal Navy records online in their Documents Online section

A search for the Joseph Phillips with the number you gave shows his recorded place of birth as Bristol - and the date of birth he gave when he joined up (not always 100% accurate) was 10 September 1874

If he sounds like your man you can download a copy of his record from here

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=1

Good Luck

Sue

paulphillips25

Default Joseph Phillips

Sue,
    Many, many thanks for that speedy response. I was unaware of that website (there seems so many) unfortunatly it does not match my details so I have found a new wall to climb. Don't you love them!
    Many thanks again for your help
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by SueNSW View Post
    Hi Paul

The NA has downloadable (for a small fee) Royal Navy records online in their Documents Online section

A search for the Joseph Phillips with the number you gave shows his recorded place of birth as Bristol - and the date of birth he gave when he joined up (not always 100% accurate) was 10 September 1874

If he sounds like your man you can download a copy of his record from here

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&resultcount=1

Good Luck

Sue

Geoffers

Paul, you're obviously stuck looking for someone in your research. Are you able to post any more detail which might allow forum members to suggest a way forward?

For example, do you know if he married?
    Did his dad make a will in which he mentions Joseph Phillips?

From his service record how long did your Joseph Phillips remain in the RN?

paulphillips25

Sue / Geoffers

I have to admit I thought I was stuck but after cracking the NATIONAL ARCHIVES excellent website I found a wealth of info at my finger tips which I have been trying to discover in every other way !!!!!!! and all thanks to my post and Sue's reply, thanks Sue.
    I have now found the 3 brothers who I knew joined the RN and can confirm them from the National Census records which corespond accordingly. I have downloaded their records from the National Archives and have lists of ships and periods 'in the cells' !! I would love to try to upload them onto this forum for all the intesrted parties out there with much more knowledge than me to have a look at and try to add some 'human aspects' to them.
    Problems are don't know how to or if you can. I am prepared to email to people individually if you wish to PM me. I would love to know more of these three. It appears they all joined on their 18th Birthday, home life must have been good and I was told by a deceased family member two of them served on the same ship.
    Hope to hear from 'anyone'

Paul

Geoffers

Glad you've found the records and that they're proved interesting.

If you want to find out more about the ships and general service, possibly photos of the ships as well, you might try:

The Navy List as sold in facsimile on CD by The Parish Chest - you might also find that a large reference library near you has a limited run.

Paul Benyon's excellent web-site - scroll down the page in the link given to loacte the section on WW1 and inter-war years.

For the better known ships, try just entering the name of the vessel into a search engine - quite a few have dedicated web-sites.

naval-history.net/index.htm

battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hood.htm

The crew list of HMS Fortune at the Battle of Jutland.
    https://www.
    jutlandcrewlists.org/fortune
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 17-07-2020 at 2:49 PM. Reason: URL deactivated as per our T&C