Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by burt View Post
    I beg to differ with Bettyanne regarding the burial of John Hunter senior. The burial in 1843, presumably got from Free bmd which
    would list it under the Registration District actually took place at Broughton near Brigg. John Hunter senior is with wife Grace in
    the 1841 at Barrow St Chad and listed as of independant means. REbdon correctly deduced that wife Grace died in 1841. John
    Hunter then remarries at Barrow most probably to Mary Sanderson in the June quarter of 1847 and they both appear at Barrow St
    Chad in the 1851 Census he listed as a retired farmer. His burial is then recorded at Barrow St Chad 1855 Apr 23 aged 82.
    I deduce he was baptized 1772 at Barrow the son of William Hunter and Ann. A Marriage Certificate for the second marriage in
    1847 would hopefully prove his father as William and give both their occupations.
    William Hunter married Ann Skinner a widow in 1767 May 14 at Barrow. An Edward Skinner married an Ann Parker at Barrow in
    1762 Jun 22.
    Wow! Thank you very much for this. Regarding John Hunter Senior, and where he was born, the only John Hunter that I could find who was born around 1776, was actually born in Firsby, Lincolnshire. This is 41 miles from the area of Barrow. So although it would have been possibly him, it may have been unlikely for those times because of the large distance from where Grace Wilson, his future wife was born. Grace Wilson, I found out was born in Humberstone, which isn't too far from Barrow. It is also very interesting to find out that he married again to a Mary Sanderson in 1847. Thank you also for telling me his occupation as a Farmer.

Richard Ebdon

Bettyanne

Sarah Hunter born 1838 in Barrow on Humber was my Great Grandmother.In 1860 she married my Great Grandfather Henry Hockney 1832- 1899.She is shown on the 1861 census as Sarah Hockney.In 1900 after Henry died Sarah married William Anselm Veal. When He died she married in 1913 to William Brant. All in the North East of Lincolnshire.Sarah died in 1918. Regards BH

Quote Originally Posted by Bettyanne View Post
    Sarah Hunter born 1838 in Barrow on Humber was my Great Grandmother.In 1860 she married my Great Grandfather Henry Hockney 1832- 1899.She is shown on the 1861 census as Sarah Hockney.In 1900 after Henry died Sarah married William Anselm Veal. When He died she married in 1913 to William Brant. All in the North East of Lincolnshire.Sarah died in 1918. Regards BH
    Thank you very much for that. Martha Maria Hunter was one of my 2x Great Grandmothers. She was born in 1845. Between July-Sept 1866, she married John Dean, in Glanford Brigg, Lincolnshire. In the 1871 Census, they are down as living at 13, Railway Square, Barrow On Humber, Glanford Brigg Lincs. John occupation is down as : "Engine Driver". It was passed down in my family that he was a train driver. By the time of the 1881 Census, the family were living in Lincoln. John Dean died in 1885. They had six daughters, and two boys. One of the boys, Richard Alfred Dean, was one of my great granddad's, born in 1880. He became an Electrician eventually, and died sometime in 1946. Interestingly, Martha Maria also died in 1918, the same year as Sarah Hunter.

Richard Ebdon.

Loves to help with queries

FreeBMD - burials Barrow on Humber - 1799 Dec 15 Ann wife of William Hunter, shepherd.
    1803 Nov 2 William Hunter aged 63
    This would make him born circa 1739. There are several Baptisms around the area that are
    close, but the one that is an exact fit is at Barnetby in 1839 son of John and Jane. I will
    look further.

FreeBMD - burials Barrow on Humber - 1799 Dec 15 Ann wife of William Hunter, shepherd.
    This would make him born circa 1739. There are several Baptisms around the area that are
    close, but the one that is an exact fit is at Barnetby in 1839 son of John and Jane. I will
    look further.
    Much appreciated, thankyou very much. I found out that William and Ann, had six daughters, and one son (John senior) all born in Barrow, between the years 1768-1785.

[QUOTE=burt;616612] John
    Hunter then remarries at Barrow most probably to Mary Sanderson in the June quarter of 1847 and they both appear at Barrow St
    Chad in the 1851 Census he listed as a retired farmer. His burial is then recorded at Barrow St Chad 1855 Apr 23 aged 82.
    I deduce he was baptized 1772 at Barrow the son of William Hunter and Ann. A Marriage Certificate for the second marriage in
    1847 would hopefully prove his father as William and give both their occupations.

You are correct regarding John Hunter senior: I too found him and Mary on the 1851 Census. It's amazing that he got married again at that age, 75! Mary was seven years younger than John senior. On "Find My Past" I also downloaded a transcription of The same page of the Census. It shows people who lived at other houses. One had the surname "Sergeant" he was aged 82. His occupation was also down as a "Retired Farmer". John Hunter junior's sister, Margaret, married John Sergeant, in Barrow, on the 7th of June 1838.
    On Lincs To The Past, I found a reference to a William Hunter from Barrow. He wrote a; "Journal Of A Voyage From Hull To New York". He was on board the ship called: "Phocion" and he ended up in New York on 28th of July 1817. In it, near the end of this journal, William apparently has a dream about his brother Thomas Hunter dying. John Hunter junior, did have a brother called William. He was born in Bonby, christened on 21 Jan 1798. And they both also had a brother called Thomas, who was christened in Barrow, on 11th of February 1796. So, both William and Thomas, along with the surname Hunter were very common names around this time. But there may be a chance that it could be the same William. I may go to Lincolnshire Archives to take a look at it.
    Regarding Dinah Hoodlass, I did find out that she remarried after John Hunter Junior died. She married a Thomas Andrew, in Caistor in 1869. I think that she may have died in Goole, Yorkshire in 1883, from the search results that I found. But, I could not find a record for who the parents of Dinah Hoodlass were though.

Regarding Dinah Hoodlass, I did find out that she remarried after John Hunter Junior died. She married a Thomas Andrew, in Caistor in 1869. I think that she may have died in Goole, Yorkshire in 1883, from the search results that I found. But, I could not find a record for who the parents of Dinah Hoodlass were though.
    On familysearch.org Dinah Hunter nee Hoodlass' second marriage
    Marriage
    Thomas Andrew
    Spouse - Dinah Hunter
    married 5 September 1869 at Great Grimsby, St.James, Lincoln
    Father's name - Thomas Andrew
    Spouse's father's name - John Hoodlass

1861 RG10 piece 3436 folio 29 page 1
    Howe Lane Goxhill
    Thomas Andrew 58 bricklayer Wrawby, Lincolnshire
    Dinah Andrew wife 54 born Barton Lincolnshire

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

look further.
    Thank you for this. I found this also on "Free Reg" and "Family Search" that William Hunter was the son of a John and Jane. William was Christened on January 1 1739, at Barnetby. There is also a record of a Mary Hunter being Christened there on 21 August 1738, with John and Jane being the parents. However, I cannot find anywhere, a record of a Marriage between a John Hunter, and a Jane. But on "Free Reg" it also does not have William down as being "illegitimate". Would that be written down only if the parents were not married? This just brings up a few questions. The closest I have got is a Marriage between an Elizabeth Smith, and a John Hunter. They were married at Goxhill in 1730. Their first son Thomas, was born in Broughton in 1731, a John, born 1732, then another William, born in 1735. Interestingly, this couple (presumably the same pair) also had two children in Barnetby: Anne, in 1742, and Margaret in 1744.

Thank you.

Loves to help with queries

There is a John HUNTER marrying an Elizabeth BUTTER 1842 June 8 at Barnetby from Lincs FHS CD 5 Marriages.
    The problem is the original Registers are lost prior to about 1750 for Barnetby, so all that survives are the Bishops Transcripts
    [BTs] which is what the IGI and FreeReg consist of. There appears to be a fairly good run of surviving BTs, but it would seem the
    key ones containing the marriage of John Hunter and Jane and the subsequent burial of Jane are missing.
    There are burials later for John HUNTER and his wife, but no other family members, suggesting they moved away from Barnetby.
    It is possible but unlikely that Wills or Marriage Licenses may help as this John HUNTER is listed as a labourer at burial.
    What seems to me particular to this family tree is the re-occurrence of the name Margaret. The other established HUNTER
    families like those of Broughton do not contain a Margaret.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast