Philip I

Default Divorce in 1900. Expensive?

How much would it have cost a wife to divorce her husband in 1900 for bigamy? Was this an option only open to those with money, or was it common?

Knowledgeable and helpful

It would not have been easy for a wife to divorce her husband in 1900.

She would have to not only prove his adultery, but also one other marital offence.
    In addition divorce was still expensive (even though it was cheaper than in earlier years) with no legal aid.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

raineshoe

We had a divorce in 1888 and from the documents it was very expensive. The pair concerned were basically labourers so I don't know how they afforded it, although the lady that Henry ran off with was clearly a little richer so whether she paid I don't know. I was surprised that they hadn't just disappeared into the night and popped up somewhere as man and wife. Their marriage certificate states they are both widowers and I know they divorced.

So it does seem it is open to all if they had the money and could prove the case.

Incidentally, if you go the National Archives site there are loads of divorces listed so I think it was more common than you think. It was certainly more common than I ever thought.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just having a browse around as I'm new here and I noticed this thread.

In case anyone is still interested in this subject, it was possible in those days to apply to the Court (the High Court of Justice then) for your divorce to be dealt with "Informa Pauperis". It would then be considered and if accepted this meant that the Court fees were waived. This must have been a big saving although of course you still had to pay your Barrister and Solicitor. My 3x Great Aunt was divorced in this way by her husband in 1906.

DorothySandra

Quote Originally Posted by Philip I View Post
    How much would it have cost a wife to divorce her husband in 1900 for bigamy? Was this an option only open to those with money, or was it common?
    If the marriage was bigamous, it was not legal, and no divorce was needed. It was expensive, and it was more difficult for women to obtain a divorce than for men.

Banned

One thing I specialize in is divorce as an archivist. Divorce wasn't common then, and it was hugely expensive. In the 1920s the cost was lowered but not by much, and left it unaffordable to many. A wife would've had to prove adultery and another marital offence, but for a man he only had to prove adultery. Back then, sexism wasn't a thing people found bad and women weren't allowed to vote until 1918.

People were divorced only if it was necessary, and if they could afford it. Divorce carried a stigma, so particularly for women it wasn't desirable to become a divorcee. Whereas nowadays, divorce is much more common than it was. A divorce was about £300, roughly £29,000 in today's terms. After the 1920s, it was around £250.

Usually in court cases back then, people weren't represented. Barristers and/or solicitors were quite rare to find then, but as divorce became more commonly used the need grew for them. Legal aid was rare anyhow.

A bigamous marriage was not legal, therefore a divorce wasn't needed. I think he/she wasted her money!

https://www.parliament.uk/business/pu...fe/split-pairs

Reflects the huge change that has occurred since 1900 (and well remember the Princess Margaret furore!)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"