Neil Reynolds

Post POWELL and JONES in Nantmel

I thought I'd post my Radnorshire interests here to try to spark off some discussion. I'd love to see some links coming through from these forums.

My Powells are from Rhydyceir in Nantmel from Dr Watkin Powell (orginally from Llangammarch in Breconshire) who married Mary Jones on 1st July 1785. Their children were, amongst other places, in Ashfield House.

Mary was of the Jones family of Cwmeiddig.

Almost all of the information I have on these families is secondary from one or two very helpful contacts.

If either of the above is of interest come on into the thread!

Regards, Neil

SharonM

Default Cwmeiddig

Hi Neil,

This is a very long shot, but who knows..... I've been trying to find my early Morris ancestors from Nantmel. Another Jones researcher sent me a line of Morrises of Cwmeiddig, who married into the Jones family. Do you perhaps have any info? Do you know just where Cwmeiddig is? Is it a farm, village, or...?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sharon
    Sequim, Washington, USA

Neil Reynolds

Sharon,

Sorry for the huge delay in response... but here we go...

UK Ordinance Survey grid reference for Cwmithig (modern spelling) is 299200,270400. You can put this into www.streetmap.co.uk (select the OS grid option) to see the current map. More fun is www.old-maps.co.uk. Put the coordinates in and select co-ordinate and the Search. That shows you the map for 1891. If you click the Aerial photo button (which isn't from 1871!!!) the field boundaries haven't changed a bit in 135 years.

As for the family there... I have some info, but not much as yet but Edward Jones who married Sarah Morris were two of my ancestors. I assume that's the link you mean. I'll send you a private message as well, just in case you don't see this one after waiting so long for my response!

Neil

smoganoff

hi neil
    i have just started my family history, my gg granmother was susanah powell who was the daughter of mary powell grandaughter to watkin and mary, im planing a visit to natmel soon,
    wondering if you gan give me any info.
    regards sue

I think you will find that Neil has not visited the forum since 2005 so he will not see your message.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time