Valued member of Brit-Gen barbara lee's Avatar

Default Two Claudy girls in Montrose in 1881

Hello All

I have this entry from the 1881 census, and I want to find out what happened next to the two girls, Isabella and Elizabeth. Did they marry or did they die spinsters?

1881 census 22 Queen Street, Montrose, Forfar
    Jane Claudy, head, widow, 48, former millworker, born Brechin, Forfar, Scotland
    Isabella Claudy, daughter, unmarried, 22, millworker (flax), born Montrose, Forfar
    Elizabeth Robert Claudy, daughter, unmarried, 20, millworker (flax), born Montrose, Forfar
    William Potter, boarder, unmarried, 17, apprentice joiner, born St Cyrus, Kincardine

I ask because I am interested in the rare name Claudy, and most of them lived in Glamorgan. But one of the sons was a sailor and married Jane Hunter in Montrose in 1855, hence these two daughters.
    I think the last living member of the family to bear the name Claudy died in Glamorgan in 1937, but did either of these girls live longer while still called Claudy?

Cheers

Barbara

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by barbara lee View Post
    I have this entry from the 1881 census, and I want to find out what happened next to the two girls, Isabella and Elizabeth. Did they marry or did they die spinsters?
    A free index search of Scotland's People indicates a marriage for Isabella CLAUDY in 1882 in Montrose.

Also one for Elizabeth CLAUDY the same year, not in Montrose but elsewhere in Angus

You would need to buy a few credits to see the details, but you'd probably be able to download the image of the entry in the marriage register.

Kerrywood
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 13-02-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: added a bit

Thanks Kerrywood

I took your hint and bought some credits, but I'm afraid I can't find those marriages. I am new to Scotland's People, so I have obviously not got the hang of it yet. My search for CLAUDY marriages in the statutory lists showed only the marriage of the parents in Montrose in 1855. I have found the deaths of both Isabella (widow of William Thomas Warden) and her mother, but nothing at all about Elizabeth. What am I doing wrong, please? Can anyone help?

Barbara

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Barbara, I've recreated the searches I did on Scotland's People.

Go to Statutory Marriages
    Female Surname, enter CLAUDY
    Female Forename, enter Isabella
    Year range, 1882 to 1882
    District, MONTROSE
    Search - 1 match

For Elizabeth, I used the same method, with County - ANGUS, and District - ALL DISTRICTS. Again, 1 match.

Any good? If not, I'm afraid you'll need someone more adept with Scotland's People than me.

Kerrywood

Got them!
    Stupidly, I hadn't read the search boxes properly, so entered the surname in the first box I came to - like Ancestry. That is only for male surnames. Of course, I only got the marriage of their father. When I entered the name in the female surnames box, all was revealed.
    Ta!
    Barbara