Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tenant Farmers

Loves to help with queries

Hi,
    My brother has just phoned. My uncle says he went to school with a Joe Stockton, in Astley,who was brother to the Ken I mentioned. If still living I think they will be in their 80s. My uncle gets a mit muddled so didn't get any further info but will get back if we can find out more.
    Best Wishes
    Jean

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello
    I'll chip in now.....Lancashire Record Office hold papers related to Astley suggest you try Lancashire.gov.uk ( prefix www.) ,you probably know the farm name form the 1851 census

geneius

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Hello

I have ancestors who had small holdings of land around the Astely area (I'm unable to ascertain if they were tennant farmers or owners). I have details of their occupations from census, birth & marriage records, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to trace where their land was situated, or if they were tennant farmers.
    My paternal great-great-great grandfather emigrated to Port Phillip in 1855, and I would like to try and find out why he made this decison, when his family (Stockton) seemed reasonably secure around the Astley area. He and his family did not use the Assisted Migration scheme, so they came from a family with some means.
    I'm unsure how to proceed now I have the "basic" information - any help would be most appreciated- thank you!
    Hello, Feather.
    I'm hoping that you're still around. I am the Secretary of the Stockton Society and I have a member in Melbourne who is researching your Stocktons! PLEASE email me! I'll put you in touch. cestrienne@ googlemail.com

Hi cestrienne and feather, I have broken the live email address to avoid spammers. A cut and paste will easily put it back together
    Last edited by almach; 19-07-2017 at 6:16 AM. Reason: Broken live email address

Starting to feel at home

Default Tenancy rules

The tenancy my ggrandfather held on his farm in the mid-1800's in North Wales expired with the third generation of tenants of the same family. This might be the reason for leaving.

Cestrienne, Feather hasn't been here since Feb 2010.if they are still using the same email address they should be notified that you have replied, but since they haven't responded to other messages, don't be too hopeful.

Why don't you mention your group's research in our Surname Interests forum? It's intended to be a place where people just register their interests, not for research questions, and the threads auto-close to prevent the threads developing into research threads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12