Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenant Farmers

feather

Default Tenant Farmers

Hello

I have ancestors who had small holdings of land around the Astely area (I'm unable to ascertain if they were tennant farmers or owners). I have details of their occupations from census, birth & marriage records, but I was wondering if anyone knows how to trace where their land was situated, or if they were tennant farmers.
    My paternal great-great-great grandfather emigrated to Port Phillip in 1855, and I would like to try and find out why he made this decison, when his family (Stockton) seemed reasonably secure around the Astley area. He and his family did not use the Assisted Migration scheme, so they came from a family with some means.
    I'm unsure how to proceed now I have the "basic" information - any help would be most appreciated- thank you!

birdlip

Hi feather, and welcome ,

I'd be trying www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/ for lease arrangements/ deeds or bills of sale in the local archives or county record offices closest to where your ancestors lived. Try wills too.

I'd say the real experts are asleep right now, but they'll be along soon.

birdlip

Or try www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/archon/ for a directory of repositories, and go from there.

birdlip

I think you may be in luck, Cheshires tithe maps are online! Shows owners and occupiers of each individual field (acreage and use e.g. arable or grazing), dwelling, farmhouse etc etc. Lots of STOCKTON's. https://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Feather....just a little query ....the reason I have taken an interest in this thread is the Astley name of the village....I didn`t know there was a village named Astley in Cheshire and after checking on the link that Birdlip has posted there is no Astley shown on the Tithe Survey for Cheshire.....my family are from Astley in Shropshire....anyway , I am going on mapquestuk to check for an Astley in Cheshire to see if I can find anything for you....allan

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Feather....on Mapquest UK there are 3 villages named Astley
    Shropshire
    Warwickshire
    Worcestershire
    sorry...I couldn`t find one in Cheshire...allan

birdlip

Hi Allan,

feathers thread title seems to've been changed when it was moved, it originally referred to "Landholdings in Lancashire and Cheshire", and that's what I was working on.

Genuki lists an Astley (or East Leigh) in Lancashire, in the parish of Leigh, 8miles W of Manchester. Sounds like its not called that now though!

feather

Default Astely...

Thank you very much to everyone who replied. The Astley I am interested in is in Lancashire - however, in the 1800's it seemed to have been in Cheshire before the shire boundaries were moved...

Living in Australia, it's a little difficult to make contact with relevant organizations, so I am very grateful for all your suggestions - thank you again.

No doubt I'll need to post again when I hit a brick wall!

But if you have any further info, would be great to hear from you....

floristofdean

Hi feather

I've only just spotted this threat. Astley is on the East Lancs road near Tyldesley. It is now in Greater Manchester so maybe the Manchester Record office might be of help.

Kathleen

Loves to help with queries

Hello,
    I live in the Astley you mean. My father and family were farmers there. In fact later my father worked at a concrete works Kenkast owned by someone called Ken Stockton. My brother sees an uncle who still lives on Astley Moss and he will ask him about the Stocktons. He may remember the old tales of why people left etc
    Best wishes
    Jean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast