Thread: Inaccuracy

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Inaccuracy

As has often been mentioned, submitted entries can be unreliable.

I found a great one today. A marriage was recorded where the bride's name was given as "Briton Ferry" - this was (according to the Pallot's entry) the place of residence of the groom and not the bride!
    Unusually for a Pallot entry and very usefully,it also gave her full name and her father's name.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    As has often been mentioned, submitted entries can be unreliable.

I found a great one today. A marriage was recorded where the bride's name was given as "Briton Ferry" - this was (according to the Pallot's entry) the place of residence of the groom and not the bride!
    Unusually for a Pallot entry and very usefully,it also gave her full name and her father's name.
    That's a brilliant one, lesleys.
    I would love to see that family tree. I wonder the submitter ever found a baptism for Briton Ferry?
    Just so there is no confusion, the 'submitted entry' is on the IGI, not Pallots.
    The groom is John Henry Jennings of Briton Ferry, Co. Glamorgan, South Wales, and the bride is Comfort Matilda du Faur, a minor, daughter of John du Faur.
    Pam

Well ferreted out Pam.
    John Henry had an interesting father - antiquarian, Henry Constantine Jennings of Shiplake Oxford, who found a Roman dog!
    The Dufaur family are proving to be quite fascinating, and spread across the globe.

JAP1

I've always been fascinated by Freda DU FAUR, the famous Australian mountaineer, who climbed in the New Zealand Alps - she was the first woman to climb Mt Cook.

Emmeline Freda (Freda) DU FAUR, 1882-1935, was born in Sydney, New South Wales, daughter of Frederick Eccleston (Eccleston) DU FAUR,1832-1915; Eccleston had been born in London, son of a Frederick DU FAUR.

I have a book:
    A Girdle Round the Earth: Women Travellers and Adventurers by Maria Aitken
    which has a striking full-page photo of Freda in the mountains.
    That photo can be found on the web at:
    https://www.dnzb.govt.nz/images/D105_...canterbury.JPG

JAP

Hi Jap,
    Yes Freda is one of the line and her father was an outdoor type too, fellow of the RGS.
    biography here:
    https://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A040107b.htm

JAP1

Hi lesleys,

Yes, there's heaps on the Web about Freda and about her forebears (especially Eccleston).

I didn't expand on this as Freda was the only one which particularly interested me!

As you'd said that the family was fascinating and had spread around the globe, I just thought I'd mention the DU FAUR (Freda) who had captured my interest so many long years ago.

Best regards,

JAP

fountainpen

I found one of mine today Elizabeth "Binger" Allen ! *lol
    It actually Elizabeth Benson Allen the christening was all wrong too .
    Ive come across some right corkers .The thing is if you look at the actual record it's clear as day - so im puzzled at the errors .It could be a case of fat finger syndrome which is easily done , but the date and year is wrong too.

Nannas

Quote Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
    Hi Jap,
    Yes Freda is one of the line and her father was an outdoor type too, fellow of the RGS.
    biography here:
    https://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A040107b.htm
    Hi,
    While talking about incorrect stuff..LOL
    That Australian Dictionary of Biography (the link above) also has many inaccuracies that they refuse to change/correct.
    It too, is a good resource of information but can only be used as a guide.

I had been contacting them and other sites they affiliate with, over some information displayed that is incorrect, but noone ever got back to me.
    I had even attached original documents, thinking that might get someones attention, but no such luck!!!

LOL I guess everyone should just read the "disclaimer" on those sites before taking anything as fact!

Nannas