Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GAERTNER, Catfield

Hi Geoffers, a newbie here. I am trying to obtain any info on a Phillipine Wilhelmine Gaertner who died in Catfield in 1902. I have the relevant census information showing that she was lodging with a 'Barber' family for at least 20 years. She was an equestrian circus performer Would appreciate any help Dave Gaertner

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG
    Hi Geoffers, a newbie here. I am trying to obtain any info on a Phillipine Wilhelmine Gaertner who died in Catfield in 1902. I have the relevant census information showing that she was lodging with a 'Barber' family for at least 20 years. She was an equestrian circus performer Would appreciate any help Dave Gaertner
    I've just returned from holiday, so sorry for delay in replying. To make any suggestions as to where to look, could you tell me if this is her married name and from census returns, where was she born?

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Default Gaertner in Catfield

Census gives the following detail
    1901 Madame Gaertner age 66 living on own means (marital condition ‘S’) born Germany FS (French subject?)
    Address given as 27 Bungalow Catfield with William & Mary Ann Barber.
    As far as I am aware she was a widow (possibly of Traugott Gaertner) and she had lodged with the Barbers for at least 20 years. The 1891 census gives her age as 42
    She died 31 May 1902 being buried at Catfield 3rd June (according to death notices) the death being notified by a M Richards ‘causing the body to be buried’ Age at death given as 70. Full name given as Phillipine, Wilhelmine Catherine Theresa Gaertner & she may also have been known as Leopoldine
    Other information says that she appeared at Stoodley & Harmstons Circus Yarmouth 1876 & at Norwich in the 1881/2 season. She was an equestrian. I hope this helps!
    Dave Gaertner

Geoffers

Census gives the following detail
    1901 Madame Gaertner age 66 living on own means (marital condition ‘S’) born Germany FS (French subject?)
    Marital condition is single, and FS means French Subject. I have no experience of tracing French ancestry, so you would need to seek advice from someone else with regard to that.

Address given as 27 Bungalow Catfield
    Addresses are often not very specific for rural villages, the 27 will be the schdedule number rather than house number.

Full name given as Phillipine, Wilhelmine Catherine Theresa Gaertner.......Other information says that she appeared at Stoodley & Harmstons Circus Yarmouth 1876 & at Norwich in the 1881/2 season. She was an equestrian.
    The Romany and Traveller FHS may be able to help you with regard to her life travelling with the circus.
    https://website.lineone.net/~rtfhs/

Geoffers

Thanks Geoffers
    What I was really looking to find was anyone who had studied the village of Catfield and may have some anecdotal information
    Dave Gaertner

I've split your posts off into a new thread in the main Norfolk forum, where they might be more easily seen by others. I've added a suitable title.

Geoffers
    Moderator, Norfolk forums
    Last edited by Geoffers; 18-04-2005 at 4:41 PM. Reason: reason for splitting thread

Ann Wilkinson

Default to the enquirer about Madame Gaertner

My mother's grandfather was called Philippe Jaques Eugene Gaertner, born in Place de la Bourse No 8, Paris, France on Jan. 13th 1855, to Elisabeth Gaertner (no father named) and died in Barnsley, Yorks, on Oct 7 1927.

I no longer seem to have a copy of his certificate of baptism, but Philippine Gaertner is named as his godmother and aunt on it, and her occupation given as circus equestrienne, and family lore has it that he was brought up by his aunt. Eugene performed in Lord John Sangers Circus, Boswell's Circus, Crowester's Circus in an act called the Clown and the Dancer, and also on many music hall stages.

One of Eugene's daughters was baptised Alice Christine Leopoldine Gaertner.
    Another family member has done a lot of research on the family.
    Last edited by Ann Wilkinson; 11-10-2005 at 12:08 AM. Reason: addition

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I would like to give you some information I have on Madam Gaertner, known as Phillipine Wilhelmina Catherine Therese Gaertner. She was the sister of Eugene Gaertner. She lived with my Great Great Grandparents, The Barbers from Catfield. Interestingly my Grandmother Margaret Leopoldine Eugenie Louise Richards seems to have been named after Eugene and Phillipine who was often called Leopoldine. She was an equestrian artiste like her brother and later in life was a fortune teller, working in many circus around Europe and the UK. She died in 1902 and is buried in Catfield Church with my great grandparents in Norfolk. She left a trust and my Great Grandmother was left a great deal of money from Gaertner. I have her will which makes interesting reading.I would love to know why she came to live in Norfolk with my great great grandparents and then my great grandparents. I have so many unanswered questions. She was a spinster and didn't marry or have children.She lived with my great grandparents Marie Ann Margaret Richards (nee Barber) who was married to William David Richards. Her death was registered by my Great Grandmother and in her will she is registered as living at The Bungalow, Catfield.
    Eugene Gartner was the illegitimate son of another big circus name, an American called Thomas Mccollum. Eugene married Elizabeth Kite (who was from another big circus family) and she was also an equestrienne artist in the circus.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Madame Gaertner known as Phillipine Wilhelmine Catherine Therese Gaertner was the Aunt of Eugene Phillip Gaertner and in her will (which I have a copy of) she names Eugene as the natural son of her sister Elizabeth Tournier Gaertner. She also names Aldred Eugene Gaertner as the son of Eugene Phillip Gaertner.

Quote Originally Posted by P King View Post
    Madame Gaertner known as Phillipine Wilhelmine Catherine Therese Gaertner was the Aunt of Eugene Phillip Gaertner and in her will (which I have a copy of) she names Eugene as the natural son of her sister Elizabeth Tournier Gaertner. She also names Aldred Eugene Gaertner as the son of Eugene Phillip Gaertner.
    Hi,
    Sorry I have been inactive for a few months, and got no notification you had replied, would love to compare notes sometime

Thanks for replying

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Gaertner

Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Hi,
    Sorry I have been inactive for a few months, and got no notification you had replied, would love to compare notes sometime

Thanks for replying
    I would like that very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast