Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fiona67

Default Gunnings in Melksham

Hi
    I was wondering if someone can help me. I have found that my convict ancestor Philip Gunning b cir 1807 & christened 27 5 1812 Melksham (F. John Gunning M. Sarah Picture) was convicted of housebreaking and sentenced to death in July 1827 and sent to Australia in 1828. In July 1828 Philip's brother Robert Gunning (b cir 1802 and christened 29 9 1805 Melksham) was also convicted of housebreaking sentenced for life and sent to Australia in 1829. They were sentenced in Wiltshire. I have been looking at some court records on another site......when Robert was convicted, on the same page (also tried for housebreaking) was Samuel Gunning. I can't find anything about him and I was wondering if he was connected to my Gunning family. Can anyone help me?

Regards
    Fiona

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

Have you seen this on the IGI?

SAMUEL GUNNING
    Birth: 1817
    Christening: 07 FEB 1821 St James, Trowbridge, Wiltshire,
    Age at Christening: 3
    Father: JOHN GUNNING
    Mother: ANN

That would have made him twelve years old. Could he be a cousin oe even half brother??

Sue

Famous for offering help & advice sue2white's Avatar

I have just found reference to a William Gunning in the Times Jan 30th 1850.
    He was described as one of the four Bristol Highwaymen who were captured and had been commited to trail.
    Then again on 2nd April 1850 for a robbery in Taunton.

Do you think he is related too?

Sue

birdlip

Hi Fiona,

the Salisbury and Winchester Journal mentions two seperate trials and gaol sentences for your Phillip GUNNING before his transportation. Do you have this info? Six months hard labour in the Devizes House of Correction in 1825 for passing counterfeit coins at Corsham, and one month in 1826 for "being a rogue and a vagabond"...so "he 'ad previous" (as they say on The Bill)
    No Samuel mentioned there though.

Fiona67

oh thank you.......I had seen the original record for the 1825 crime but it wasn't very clear so couldn't read the crime & hadn't seen the 1826 record.........thank you so much

Fiona

Knowledgeable and helpful

I'm going to the Wiltshire & Swindon Archives tomorrow and will have a look at the Goodies and Baddies index. It indexes the Calendars of Prisoners held for the Quarter Sessions, and sometimes gives the parishes where the prisoners were from. That might clairfy whether they were related. However, it is not an uncommon name in the county. pw

Knowledgeable and helpful

Well, I've been to the archives and looked at the calendar of prisoners for Devizes New Prison for 15 July 1828. Nos. 25, and 26 are Robert Gunning 25 and Samuel Gunning aged 10, both for the same offence. "Committed by T Tugwell, esq. charged on the oaths of William Tucker and others (in company of William Bollen, admitted to bail) with having burglariously broken open the dwelling house of Samuel Sartain and feloniously stolen therein two silver tea spoons and other articles the property of the said Samuel Sartain, at Holt. Warrant dated May 27, 1828." W & SA A1/125/54 [the reference for the document] They were being held for trial at the summer assizes. No Gunnings living at Holt at the time, but Melksham is only 3 miles away to the east, and Trowbridge ( see post above) 5 miles to the south. Samuel Sartain baptising children in Holt at that time was a horse dealer. pw

ronspriggs

Hi Fiona,
    I have read with interest the posts regarding Philip Gunning. I am a decendant of Philip's and am keen to see how your research has been going.
    Philip was transported on the "Phoenix" in 1828. He was pardoned in 1847 and had land at White Rock near Bathurst.
    His brother Samuel,as you know, was also transported to Australia on the "Waterloo" in 1829. The records show him as Robert Gunning.
    I believe there are Gunnings still living in the White Rock area and I am planning to contact them in the near future.
    Would be appreciated if you could contact me
    Regards
    Ron

lbarr

Hi Ron,
    I'd be very interested to hear where you fit in within the family. Philip Gunning was my great, great grandfather. I'm only in the early stages of my research & would love to compare notes.
    Regards
    Lynne
    Quote Originally Posted by ronspriggs View Post
    Hi Fiona,
    I have read with interest the posts regarding Philip Gunning. I am a decendant of Philip's and am keen to see how your research has been going.
    Philip was transported on the "Phoenix" in 1828. He was pardoned in 1847 and had land at White Rock near Bathurst.
    His brother Samuel,as you know, was also transported to Australia on the "Waterloo" in 1829. The records show him as Robert Gunning.
    I believe there are Gunnings still living in the White Rock area and I am planning to contact them in the near future.
    Would be appreciated if you could contact me
    Regards
    Ron

ronspriggs

Hi Lynne,
    Good to hear from you. I believe that I too am a great, great grandchild of Philip's. I have spoken to my sister who has some of the Gunning family history recorded. I am heading her way in a few weeks time via Bathurst and plan to contact some of the Gunnings on my way through.
    I will forward any information I gather on my trip to you.
    Regards
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast