Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
    Joc_42

Default Loveridge/Sibthorpe

Hi I am trying to locate info on my grandfather's family.

The info I have is that his Mother was Mary-Ann Loveridge c1875 Lived in deptford until her death in April 1976 (death cert reg in Bromley???)

His Father William Sibthorpe c1884 deptford he died in 1962.

Mary-ann father was Thomas Sibthorpe, she had many brothers and sister the ones that we are sure of are Jumbo and Albert we have a few other names from the census' but nothing concrete at this stage.

Hale street Deptforf played a big part in our history with our family moving up and down the street across the census years.

I'm hoping that some may have more info that can help move us in the right direction,

Mary-Ann Married Benjamin Banks in 1897 in St Saviours Southwark we believe they had 10 children.

Any info or advice would be greatfully received.

Jo

Joc_42

ALSO WE HAVE CONNECTIONS TO THE BOWMAN FAMILY - WHO OWNED A FAIRGROUND AND TRAVELLED IN AND AROUND THE DEPTFORD AREA WELL INTO THE 50-60'S

janbooth

Hello Jo,

From Ancestry London Parish Registers:

19 April 1897 at St John the Evangelist, Walworth: Benjamin BANKS, 20, bachelor, Florist, 19 Mount Street, father William BANKS, Dock Labourer married Mary Ann LOVERIDGE, 18, spinster, 19 Mount Street, father Thomas Loveridge, Carpenter, Mary Ann made her mark & Benjamin signed. Witnesses: W LOVERIDGE, made his mark, & F. KEATS, who signed.

However, looking for Mary Ann before her marriage I have found extremely difficult. I am also somewhat confused when you say that your g-grandmother's name was Mary Ann Loveridge, but her father was Thomas SIBTHORPE and your grandfather's father was William SIBTHORPE. Do you mean that your grandfather was illegitimate and that his birth/baptismal records shown his father as William SIBTHORPE? I also can't find William SIBTHORPE in any census records altho I am using both FMP & Ancestry.

Can you clarify exactly what info you have and the source, plus what information you actually require and then perhaps the super sleuths on the Forum will be able to help you.

Janet

Joc_42

Hi Janet,

Many thanks for for that info.

With regards to Mary Ann I was having a very blonde moment hahah Her father was Thomas Loveridge. And William Sibthorpe father was Thomas Sibthorpe (sometimes misspelt as Sipthorpe) Many Apologies for the confusion.

I really need to source more info on both Thomas Loveridge and Thomas Sibthorpe as yet it is proving hard to trace them.

Jo

janbooth

Hello again Jo,

Gosh, both sides of your grandfather's family are proving extremely hard to trace. I have found a marriage record for what looks like a brother to your William on Ancestry's Parish Register Records, but again I can't seem to find him in census records prior to either his marriage or the 1911 census. Here are the details of his marriage:

15 May 1899 at St Paul Deptford Thomas SIBTHORPE, 21, bachelor, Costermonger, 16 Hale Street, father Thomas SIBTHORPE, Coal Porter married Charlotte Kate Ryan, 21, spinster, 36 Baildon Street, father James RYAN, deceased, Dock Labourer. Both signed their names and the Witnesses were James HARPER (I think!) who made his mark and Elizabeth Ann TOWLER (could perhaps be FOWLER).

Will keep looking

Janet

Joc_42

Thank you that will be great, sounds promising as a brother, is there any other info i can give you to help us???

Many thanks again

janbooth

Default LOVERIDGE/SIBTHORPE families

No wonder I can't find the families prior to the 1911 census records - it looks as if Ancestry are missing some of the records. Enumeration District 3 of St Paul Deptford Central (which contains the even numbers of Hale Street as I found out using FMP) is missing!! Looking at the odd numbers of Hale St (which Ancestry does have), I came across a Henry LOVERIDGE, aged 20, Hawker, living at 13 Hale St with wife Louisa. I have found their marriage on Ancestry via the Parish Records and it states his father was Adolphus LOVERIDGE, Hawker, and Henry was living at 50 Hale Street at the time of his marriage in 1899. Looked on the 1901 census for 50 Hale Street using FMP and came up with this:

Benjamin BANKS Head Mar 24 Cable Maker Telegraph Deptford
    Mary do Wife Mar 21 do
    Benjamin do Son 2 do
    Albert do Son 0 do
    George do Brother 13 do

Adolphus LOVERIDGE Head Mar 49 Hawker Greengrocer Northampton
    Sophia do Wife Mar 48 Notting Hill LOndon
    John do Son S 15 Hawker Greengrocer Deptford
    Emily do Daur 11 do
    Norah do Daur 6 do
    + 1 servant

Shown as 2 separate households in 50 Hale Street.

When looking for previous LOVERIDGE marriages, I remember seeing the one for Adolphus and his father was a Thomas, but he was described as a Hawker and not a Carpenter as on Mary's marriage record and as there was 28 years difference in their ages I sort of discarded it. However, as both Mary BANKS and Adolphus are living in the same house in the 1901, it suggests that perhaps they are related in some way.

Another SIBTHORPE marriage at St Paul Deptford:

8 July 1894 Michael CONNOR, 21, bachelor, General Dealer 45 Bronze Street, father Patrick CONNOR, Labourer married Emma SIBTHORPE, 21, spinster, 45 Bronze Street, father Thomas SIBTHORPE, Coal Porter. Emma signed, Michael made his mark and he witnesses were a Robert & Mary Ann PAGET.

Janet

Mutley

There are some army pension records on the Ancesspit for William Sipthorpe.
    I cannot read the mother' name, brother is Thomas, wife is Mary Ann of 73 Hale Street.
    Mary Ann Banks is mentioned. I think there are some children's names.

It is quite difficult to work out but before I try, can you tell me if you already have it?

Mutley

Should anyone wish to help Jo further I would suggest clicking on her user name and looking at the previous threads regarding the families.

janbooth

Yet more SIBTHORPEs:

Mary Ann PAGET was Mary Ann SIBTHORPE prior to her marriage:

5 August 1899 at St Paul Deptford Robert William PAGET, 22, bachelor, Labourer, 3 Coppers Lane, father William PAGET, Gas Fitter married Mary Ann SIBTHORPE, 18, spinster, 3 Coppers Lane, father Thomas SIBTHORPE, Coal Porter. Both signed their names and witnesses were William GULL & Elizabeth PAGET.

27 January 1910 at St Paul Deptford James SMEDLEY, 31, bachelor, Coster, 27 Addey Street, father Henry SMEDLEY deceased, Sieve Maker married Harriet SIBTHORPE, 30, spinster, 27 Addey Street, father Thomas SIBTHORPE deceased, Coal Porter. Both made their mark Witnesses were Richard Edward FINCH & Elizabeth Anne TURNER who made her mark.

Have to go out now, but will try to find some more tomorrow.

Janet

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast