Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thank you for trying to help.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Terrie,

Just letting you know I haven't given up yet! I have tried to find a Caroline Smart to fit with her having a son William, I looked at possible marriages and drew a blank, I also searched census records for a William and mother Caroline without entering a surname, and looked for deaths.

I found 1, Law Court in 1851, living there is Henry James, 23, a chimney sweeper.

I sympathise with you, it truly is a brick wall.
    Just to update on what I've found. I'm convinced that there is a blood relationship between either the individual known as William Smart or the one known as Ellen Jones (Williams). Both my cousin and myself have several dna matches with different lines of descendants from William Loverage 1740 - 1831 and Margaret Devyer 1740 - 1822. These are also ancestors of the John Loveridge my family lived with.

Another dna match indicated that William Smart and Ellen Jones also had a daughter Maria born in 1885 and adopted after the death of Ellen. GRO, baptism and census records seem to confirm this. Not quite sure where I go with this from here, but I'll keep plodding away.

Thank you for your help.

It would seem that

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi Terrie,

Just letting you know I haven't given up yet! I have tried to find a Caroline Smart to fit with her having a son William, I looked at possible marriages and drew a blank, I also searched census records for a William and mother Caroline without entering a surname, and looked for deaths.

I found 1, Law Court in 1851, living there is Henry James, 23, a chimney sweeper.

I sympathise with you, it truly is a brick wall.
    Thanks for your help, I've had a couple of breakthroughs with the help of dna. I have located the mother of Ellen Jones, but have no paper or record trail to show it. I have 12 dna matches with link her to "Ellen Jones" born 1830, Battle, Sussex. She is the daughter of Thomas Jones and Ellen Unknown. She appears on the 1841 census Piece 1120 Folio 20 Page 32 and the 1851 census 1635 528 59. After that I can't find any trace of her and no trace of her daughter, Ellen, until 1871. Still trying to find some record proof to substantiate and Ellen Jones Junior's birth registration and whereabouts between her birth and 1871.

I have also located William Smart's father through 8 dna matches.He is the illegitimate child of Stephen Smart - Mariner born 1822 from Southwick, Sussex. He was married to Elizabeth Nye. I'm still trying to find out who William's mother was.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637