Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Graham L

Default LIGHTFOOT's at St Breock

It has been suggested that my gggg-grandfather Richard Lightfoot (who would later farm land at Treweers, Lansallos, near Polperro) was originally born in St Breock, the third son of one Rundle (or Rendle) Lightfoot (born c. 1725) and Rebecca Hewitt married in St Breock 1750.

The other two sons of Rundle were John and William LIGHTFOOT, the latter being born c 1750.

Can anyone verify that Richard did indeed leave the parish to move to Lansallos? ie. no record of his burial at St Breock

I would also be interested to know if the LIGHTFOOT brothers (William and James) who were hung at Bodmin Gaol for murder in 1840 also spring from Rundle's sons?

Thanks in advance

Graham Lightfoot

Scottie

Smile St Breock LIGHTFOOTS

Dear Graham,
    Rendle Lightfoot and Rebecca Hewett married 29 Jan 1749/50 had 5 sons and a daughter. The Lightfoot brothers, hanged at Bodmin 10 Apr 1840, were the grandsons of Rendle through his son John. I cannot confirm that their Uncle Richard was your ancestor except to say that I have no record of him marrying or producing any children in the St Breock area. I have not done the burial register though so cannot say that he did not die in St Breock. I can give you extensive details on the rest of the descendants though should you wish them

Graham L

Default LIGHTFOOTs at St Breock

Hi and thanks Scottie

People who have been searching longer than me seem to think that Richard moved south across the county. The link to the notorious Lightfoot brothers is one I suspected and glad to have confirmed.
    I certainly would be interested to look at the details of the rest of the descendants.

Thanks again

Regards

Graham

Allen Lightfoot

Post Lightfoots From Lansallos

Hello Graham and Scottie,

I have read with great interest the postings about the LIGHTFOOT family in St Breock. My g-grandfather (Richard), gg-grandfather (William), ggg-grandfather (Richard) and the wife of William and most of William's childern are listed in the 1841 census as living and farming Treweers in Lansallos Parish. It will be most interesting if there is a connection of my ancestors to your Lightfoots.

From Jeremy Johns, Polperro History Society, I have received the following information.

"We have known for some time that there were at least two (2) Lightfoot families, one in Lansallos Parish and one in Talland Parish.

The Lansallos family (yours) goes back to a Richard Lightfoot (birth/baptism) unknown to us. He married Elizabeth Pollard in Lansallos in February 1793. She was a local girl, baptized in 1766. One of their grandsons, Richard, was your great-grandfather Richard (1824 - 1859). [actual death date is - 6 May 1905, Rockford, Illinois, USA- ral]

The Talland family goes back to William Lightfoot who married Elizabeth Slade at Talland in February 1773. One of their sons James(1784-?) married Mary Jasper who in turn had a son, John (1883-?) who married Maria Cundy."

If this looks like a connection please let me know.

Ray Allen Lightfoot
    Seneca, South Carolina
    Last edited by Allen Lightfoot; 03-05-2005 at 6:54 PM. Reason: spelling

BevLohm

Question Lightfoots From Lansallos

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    Dear Graham,
    Rendle Lightfoot and Rebecca Hewett married 29 Jan 1749/50 had 5 sons and a daughter. The Lightfoot brothers, hanged at Bodmin 10 Apr 1840, were the grandsons of Rendle through his son John. I cannot confirm that their Uncle Richard was your ancestor except to say that I have no record of him marrying or producing any children in the St Breock area. I have not done the burial register though so cannot say that he did not die in St Breock. I can give you extensive details on the rest of the descendants though should you wish them
    Hi Scottie,
    I am very interested in the information you have on Richard Lightfoot, born 1764 possibly in St. Breock, married Elizabeth Pollard in 1793 in Lansallos. He was my gggg-grandfather through their son William, b. 1801 m. Mary Hocken. As this is an old post I wondered if his connection with the two brothers that were hanged has ever been established. Is it his descendants you have details for? I would appreciate any information you may have.
    Thank you,
    Bev

Graham L

Default Lansallos - St Breock connection

Hi Bev
    At the moment we don't have any clear evidence that the Richard LIGHTFOOT born in St Breock in 1764 (whose descendants were the notorious Lightfoot brothers hanged for murder in 1840) and the Richard LIGHTFOOT (your gggg-grandfather) who lived at Treweers Farm until his death in 1847 are definitely the same person. I suppose what we could say it that is very likely they are one and the same. He is also my gggg-grandfather (through his son Richard) so I guess that makes us (fifth?) cousins. Pleased to meet you!

Graham

Scottie

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BevLohm
    Hi Scottie,
    I am very interested in the information you have on Richard Lightfoot, born 1764 possibly in St. Breock, married Elizabeth Pollard in 1793 in Lansallos. He was my gggg-grandfather through their son William, b. 1801 m. Mary Hocken. As this is an old post I wondered if his connection with the two brothers that were hanged has ever been established. Is it his descendants you have details for? I would appreciate any information you may have.
    Thank you,
    Bev
    Dear Bev,
    Sorry I have been in hospital and just got home today. Please give me a few days to get back into harness and I will be in touch with what I have

Scottie

Dear Bev,
    If you now Email me direct I will send the 35 pages of descendants of Rendle and Rebecca that I have.

oldphart

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    Dear Graham,
    I'm a bit late into this discussion as I have only just "rediscovered" these fora.

I am probably the origin of the connection theory between the Wadebridge area LIGHTFOOTs and the Polperro area ones. When I first "discovered" the Lansallos branch I went looking for a connection and found that there was a Richard LIGHTFOOT born at about the right time (1768) in St Breock. Richard LIGHTFOOT of Lansallos marries Elizabeth POLLARD there in 1793 making him about 25 at the time, a common marriage age in those days. Census evidence from 1841 doesn't entirely support the theory (suggests a birth in 1771) but the age rounding that took place in that census explains that. There is no definitive proof and there may never be any of a connection but I'm convinced.

I have more or less the same info as Scottie (hi Susan!) on Wadebridge LIGHTFOOTs with an extra generation back and lots of Australian (NSW) LIGHTFOOTs if anyone wants to contact me.

Cheers

Michael
    Canberra, Australia

suedent

Default Lightfoots of Talland and Lansallos

I have an extensive database of Polperro families and have a fair bit of information on both the Lightfoot families.

Sue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast