allyj50

Default Children's Hospital Residence, Glasgow

Hi

I spent my birthday up in Glasgow City, visiting the Mitchell Library and Park Circus to clarify details. After saying good-bye to my scottish family history orientated cousin she let drop that our Nana had had a baby between her 2 husbands, she thought it was male but unsure as was unable to read the writing.

I was quite startled as I hadn't heard this story from my mother at all.

I bought a voucher card for scotland's people at the mitchell library - its cheaper there than to buy online in england - and I checked online this afternoon.

The baby was definitely male, Francis Madgian or Grindlay (Grindlay was her first husband's surname and he died in 1914). The baby boy lived just 2 months and was born in 1927 at the children's hospital residence, 50 Glamis Road, Glasgow.

It does say on the death certificate that she is a widow and she signed her name as Grindlay. I can't view the image to see who the father is as I need to order the certificate but at £9 a go, they aren't cheap!

Nana remarried at the beginning of 1928 in the January and my mother was born in the July!

What kind of hospital did she have the baby in - was it a sort of "residence" like a mother and baby home or is it just a a "term of phrase"? I tried to look on google maps to see where Glamis Road was but am unsure whether it was as far out of the city as it appeared to be showing on the maps.

Originally my Nana was from Pollokshaws in Glasgow but the family also lived in Kinning Park and the Gorbals districts. I think the death certificate says its Anderston.

Cheers
    Alison x

joette

I'm wondering as the death is registered in Anderston if the Hospital could be connected to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill?There has been a hospital on the site since the early 1900's.I was a patient there in the 50's & trained in Sick Children's Nursing too.
    I'm wondering if he & your Mother shared a Father? I would be spending the £9 to see if the Father is named.