weeKnightingale

Red face A wee ROBIN looking for a nest =o:>

Hello Fellow Searchers,

In your research have you come across the surname ROBIN?

In search of Robin grave sites in Glasgow, Scotland and London, England.

After finding the wills of Robert and his brother George Robin I found reference to the purchase of a total of 5 lairs at the EASTERN NECROPOLIS and Janefield cemetery in Glasgow. Plus I have record that my grandfather purchased lairs A507-A540 at Cardonald Cemetery.

My grandfather was:
    William ROBIN, Engineer/Automobile Mechanic (1874-1963) of Pollokshields, Glasgow. His stepfather was James Buchanan Gilkerson (birth circa 1845 in Ryegate, Vermont of Scottish parents).
    His father was William ROBIN, Master Gunpowder Manufacturer (1848-1874) Robert Robin & Son.
    His grandfather was Robert ROBIN, Wine & Spirit Merchant (1818-1877) Robin & Hutcheson, Robin & Houston Soaps & Candles.
    Robert ROBIN had siblings by the names Peter x2, Walter x2, Robert, Matthew, William and George 1805-1888.

Son Granduncle Walter ROBIN, Leather & Hide Merchant retired and died in the city Bridge of Allan (1861-1936). Robert Robin's two sons and brother took a leisure boat trip on the Clyde and drowned in 1877.

Sometimes this really gets very confusing but fascinating!

My reason for searching is that I recently got in contact with my cousin who is looking for his father's burial site. My thinking was if we could find where our grandparents graves are we may find my uncle's resting place. Death certificates do not give any clues to burial.

Re:
    British Merchant Seaman
    Arthur John Robin*
    R109897

DOB 20/03/1915
    Born in Gorbals, Glasgow, Scotland
    DOD 24/04/1953
    Died at Greenwich Seaman's Hospital, Kent, England

Oh forgot to mention that a very dear person (retired British Merchant Navy Seaman) a good Samaritan in Glasgow found a Robin Lair at Cardonald Cemetery. My Aunt Hannah (1909-1932), two Uncles who died in infancy, John McIntyre second husband of my Grand-Aunt Catherine who resided in Dornoch are buried there.

Any other information or suggests would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    K

Sending my 'curiouser & curiouser' thoughts through the looking-glass.

weeKnightingale

Update:
    GOOD NEWS!!
    We have found the resting place of my Uncle! We have the cemetery and the lot #. I will have to wait until a visit can be arranged by my cousin to see if he can actually locate it and send photos. I viewed several photos of the place on 'flicker' and I am sure that is the cemetery I visited long ago with my grandmother.
    K

Procat

Well done. Always nice to find a resolution to a problem.

weeKnightingale

Smile Yes it is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Well done. Always nice to find a resolution to a problem.
    Hi Procat,
    Yes it is nice!
    I live in California, USA and my cousin lives in Brisbane, Australia. My travel days are over so unfortunately I will not be making any trips. I don't know when he will manage a trip back to the UK. My Uncle is his father. He has been hoping for years to find his father's grave. Hope he can make the trip soon!

Thanks for your comment,
    K