Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    shewhoseeks

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Oxfordshire makes more sense than 'Birminghamshire'.

Mixbury is not far from the border with Buckinghamshire (see the message above from Adele) so that may entry not be discounted at this stage.

Is there any record of Benjamin or his parents having sought American citizenship? If so, does anything exist in the papers which identify where he came from?

Any record over your side of the pond of the family disembarking in North America?

Any useful information on USGENWEB?
    The obit is Buckinhamshire, it was a brain fart, sorry. I am the one with the obit on Facebook.

shewhoseeks

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Oxfordshire makes more sense than 'Birminghamshire'.

Mixbury is not far from the border with Buckinghamshire (see the message above from Adele) so that may entry not be discounted at this stage.

Is there any record of Benjamin or his parents having sought American citizenship? If so, does anything exist in the papers which identify where he came from?

Any record over your side of the pond of the family disembarking in North America?

Any useful information on USGENWEB?
    No naturalization records. He stopped being a shoemaker after the civil war. The county he was in recorded the enlistments, VERY unusual for us, so at least I have names for his parents. I pursued the William in Oneida and Erie, but I don't think they are right, the Onieda County group is Pexton, and the Erie just doesn't match. I am thinking maybe Canada, but I don't even have a clue what area is above St. Lawrence to look in.

I can track him from 1850 to his death.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by shewhoseeks
    No naturalization records
    Curses

I pursued the William in Oneida and Erie, but I don't think they are right, the Onieda County group is Pexton
    I wouldn't dismiss the PEXTON family entirely. Depending on his level of literacy and strength of his accent, it may jut be what the name sounded like to the census enumerator.

I can track him from 1850 to his death.
    Are there by any chance, any other PAXTONs nearby who are recorded in the post-1850 censuses as being English? Especially someone with a more unusual forename? There was a great increase in emigration following the Poor law Amendment Act of 1834; someone emigrated and wrote home to say it wasn't such a bad place and ecnouraged others to join them. If you can find other recent arrivals in America after the 1851 census was held in Britain - it may be possible to then trace them in this side of the pond. (I hope that make sense).

The ultimate hope is to find a parish from which a family emigrated and see if they obtained passage with parish assistance. The records of assisted pasage are held at The National Archives (TNA) at Kwe in document class MH12 and can be very helpful (though acces from America is a problem with which I cannot help).

So you basically need something over there which will point to a lcoation over here.

Were there any wills left by this family? In which case do they mention anything about the English side of the family?

shewhoseeks

My doubts about the Pexton's has more to do with location than anything, and the family has no Benjamin's. Most of the Paxton's aren't in NY, so there aren't too many, but there is a George in Syracuse that I am keeping my eye on...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12