Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BURROWS

taximom

Default Burrows search

Thank you so much for your help, thus sounds valid and will give me a great boost to find the earlier family.Taximom
    Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    I have found him

they live in Stoneham Street, Upper Or Back Lane, Great Coggeshall

in 1841 there are 3 children

John born 1835 he was a shoe maker
    Joseph 1838
    Maria 1840(although the census transcript shows 1841) but she is 10 months which would take her birth to 1840.

The parents were John born 1811
    Maria born 1812

There is also a Benjamin Goarding aged 16 living at the house he was an apprentice but the first word is hard to read

reference

RG number HO107 Piece 335 Folio 4 page 2

I hope this helps

Sue

taximom

Default additional Burrows search results

Many thanks for this too; I also have found that the Goodings are related. Taximom
    Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    ten years later he is living with his Aunt and Uncle in London

8, Pelham Street, Christchurch Spitalfields, Tower Hamlets

he is a shoe and bootmaker and is his Uncle

Benjamin Gooding 26 Essex (I wonder if he is the Benjamin on the 1841 census and therefore Maria's brother)
    Eliza 26 from Hertfordshire
    Samuel 4 Middlesex

RG number HO107 Piece 1544 Folio 20 page 32

I hope this also helps

Sue

SBSFamilyhistory

Looking back I found that I have not said that I am also a Burrows.. however I have not yet found any links to the South East....

Sue

taximom

Default Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Mead View Post
    I checked in the later census records:

1861 census
    John Burrows, 52, shoemaker, born Colchester
    Maria, 49, born Great Coggeshall
    Ann, 18, born Great Coggeshall
    Walter, 10, born Great Coggeshall
    Mary, 6, born Great Coggeshall

1851 census
    John Burrows, 42, shoemaker, born Great Coggeshall
    Maria, 40
    Joseph, 12
    Maria, 10
    Ann, 8
    Oliver, 7
    Edward, 6
    Walter, 1
    There aren't any parish records available for Coggeshall in 1809-10, but there are for Colcehster:

In IGI, batch C067231
    Helens Lane Meeting House or Stockwell Chapel, Colchester

John Burrows, Born 7 August 1808, baptised 14 Sep 1810
    Son of John Burrows and Mary Anne

A brother, Joseph, was born 25 June 1811, baptised 22 July 1811
    Thankyou for your helpful information about my great-great grandfather John Burrows. taximom.

taximom

Also looking for Frederick Francis Briggs, born about 1874 Marylebone, may have had a brother Charles; married Alice Maud Burrows 1905 in West Ham. I have had no luck in finding his parents. taximom

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello taximom
    I’m the great grand daughter of Joseph Burrows. His daughter was my granny, Kathleen. I’m so excited to find a Burrows descendent. Did you manage to trace any further back?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello JMorrow,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Unfortunately this is an old thread and taximom is no longer a member of the forum (as shown by the word 'guest' beneath their name) and we are unable to alert them to your post because we have no contact details.

However, nil desperandum because you never know what results your post will bring.

If you have any further questions regarding this family, please post them in this thread so people who wish to help can see exactly what has been found so far.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Pam,
    Thanks very much for your reply. Do you have any tips on how I could find the exact house in Stoneham st Coggeshall that the Burrows family lived in?
    Kind wishes
    Jane

Famous for offering help & advice

1841 census doesn’t list any house numbers.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi JMorrow -

This may be an old thread ... but it's helped to bring a lot of us Burrowses together. I am another one ... great x4 grandson of John and Maria, via their son John who married Sarah Kipling, via their son George Kipling Burrows via his son George Vincent Burrows via his son Frank Herbert Burrows, via one of his three sons (my father ... whom I shall not name on a public forum because he is still living).

My brother lives in Australia too; I am still in England.

I have done a lot of research on this line, and have visited as many of the relevant locations as I am able.

If you care to e-mail me on jbmountainleader AT gmail DOT com I shall be happy to share my notes and queries; and would be delighted to receive any notes and queries which you may have in return.

I have got the line back into the 18th century but it is very difficult to piece together. They were nonconformists, and not all of the nonconformist records are currently available digitally, so there are a number of brick walls that I am currently scrabbling at. Family traditions have been invaluable in providing little hints here and there, so I would be very interested in any that you have heard.

The main and most interesting family tradition which may yet enable some breakthroughs to be made is that we are descended from Dutch Huguenot immigrants. I have picked this up from three different sources ... but I have not yet managed to establish whether they are independent of one another, or if two of them got it from the third (or one from the second, who in turn got it from the third). John the elder's brother Joseph was a Colchester seedsman and nurseryman, and I have found a reference to a court case where he obtained judgement for the unpaid price of tulips. Not proof positive of the tradition, by any means ... but certainly consistent with a Dutch connection ... and Colchester was definitely one of the centres of Durtch Huguenot immigration.

If this tradition is correct then it raises the possibility that the family adopted the name Burrows in honour of the great Colchester puritan preacher of the 17th century Jeremiah Burrows (a possibility that is particularly tantalising for me, as I am Jeremy Burrows ... ). There has almost certainly been a name change if we ARE of Dutch Huguenot descent, since Burrows is not exactly a very Dutch name. And that then raises the problem of identifying WHO changed their name, and when, and most importantly what their previous name had been.

This could be VERY difficult to establish ... but I am looking into the possibility that it may all be there for us in the records of the Masonic Grand Lodge. My grandfather and great greandfather were both freemasons ... but does Burrows freemasonry go back any further? My great great grandfather, and my great x 3 grandfather (that's the younger John Burrows) were both buried in the same grave in Woodgrange Park cemetery (as were their wives). Woodgrange Park was originally an exclusively masonic burial ground; but by the time my great x3 grandfather bought his plot it had been opened to allcomers and it was a convenient loacl cemetery for him. So his purchase of the burial plot there is not conclusive that he too was a freemason, but it is certainly suggestive; and it is therefore possible that there is a long line of freemasons here with each father introducing his son to the craft, and that this will lead us back all the way to the ancestor who adopted the name Burrows. If so, then it will hopefully give us his previous name, too, and open up all sorts of further avenues for research (starting, most obviously, with the Huguenot Society). If your branch of the family has a masonic tradition too, then this will greatly increase my hopes for getting something helpful out of this line of enquiry.

I am intending to visit the Masonic Grand Lodge in the next couple of weeks to get a search for any masonic records for my great great grandfather George Kipling Burrows. This is going to cost me, as I don't know his lodge (they give you the records for free if you DO know the lodge ... )

Anyway, if you see this then do please get in touch.

Kind regards,

Jeremy
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 06-02-2023 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Email address disguised to deter spammers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast