Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jeeb

Default New Year Competition.

Hi All,

Knowing how much you all like to get your teeth into a real problem, how about a competition?
    Bo Peep has kindly offered a prize to the first person who can give me the correct answer. The prize is 2 CDs from the One Stop Website List, Scottish Ancestors & Irish Ancestors. The closing date for this competion is midnight 31st January 2010 unless someone answers to my satisfaction beforehand.

Competition question:-

On the 1881 census is Richard Davies, his wife Mary & 7 children living in Hough, Cheshire.
    Ref RG11/3539 Folio 17 Page 5
    They appear a very normal Victorian family but what happened?

Good luck,

Jeremy

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Jeremy,
    Before I even start looking - do you want the replies PM'd to you, in case anyone gets the answer half-right, but in doing so helps someone else to get the full answer?
    Pam

jeeb

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hi Jeremy,
    Before I even start looking - do you want the replies PM'd to you, in case anyone gets the answer half-right, but in doing so helps someone else to get the full answer?
    Pam
    Hi Pam,
    Good question, but no answer on the open forum please. I will give no replies or hints until someone comes up with the correct answer.

Jeremy

SBSFamilyhistory

umm I can't wait to look into this.

Sue, by the way I have reached the 1000 mark .......

v.wells

Talking

Finally - another competition I was just thinking the other day that is must be getting near to a new competition. Good luck to all who enters it!

spison

Good luck everyone who enters,

I'll be interested in hearing about this family and what happened to them. I take it the winning entry will be put in this thread eventually?

Jane

jeeb

Default Winner

Hi All,
    Thankyou to all those who had a go at the competition but as 4 members have already got the right answer I'm afraid it is now closed. I was staggered how quickly it was sussed and it just goes to prove what an excellent site BG Forums is.

This is what happened:-

On Saturday 25th January 1890 George Davies who was only 16 rushed into the family home & claimed that their father had been attacked by two men on the Crewe road. He took police to the scene where they found the body of Richard Davies Snr aged 50, a tailor. He had been battered about the head with a large tree branch that lay close by covered in blood. Detectives from Cheshire Constabulary questioned the family & learned that the father frequently bullied his children. A search for the two assailants had yielded no clues so they set about re-checking the statements made by the two sons. Richard Davies Jnr trapped himself when he revealed more about the murder than he should have & soon both he & George were charged. They were tried before Mr Justice Wills at Chester on 20th March and after a fair trial both were convicted. George was reprieved a few days before the scheduled execution on account of his age, although he was just as quilty if not more so. His brother Richard Davies was hanged by James Berry who later wrote that the sceptre of this young man frequently came to haunt him. The execution took place in Knutsford on the 8th April 1890. Richard Davies was only 18 when he died.

The following members came up with the correct answer:-
    adeleE
    Barbara Wilkinson
    Chasing Caseys
    ET in the USA

Congratulations to AdeleE who was first to give me the correct answer so is the winner. Adele solved it in less than 2 hours. Adele, if you would like to PM Bo Peep with your address she will forward your prize.

ET, I'm sorry you misinterpreted my rules, on re-reading them I can see how you did that so again my apologies. Pam did forward your answer immediately to me but I had already received Adele's reply well in advance.

Jeremy

Brick wall demolition expert!

Thank you so much! I was a little surprised at my luck. I found it as a result of a Google search for "Richard Davies" Cheshire tailor. Several results featured the word murder, so I followed those leads.

As I have Scottish ancestors, I'm very pleased to have won that CD.

Could I throw the Irish Ancestors CD back into the prize pot and could we please, please, please have another competition?

Well done Adele, a worthy winner!

Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

v.wells

Congratulations Adele!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast