Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb View Post
    ET, I'm sorry you misinterpreted my rules, on re-reading them I can see how you did that so again my apologies. Pam did forward your answer immediately to me but I had already received Adele's reply well in advance.

Jeremy
    Congratulations Adele.

All is forgiven Jeremy . I'm not the best typist myself, so often leave off letters or say things that are unclear.
    I will just mention that a problem with "first in" contests is that some of us are GMT -8 and others GMT +10, so often things begin in the middle of the night for some, mid-day for others [when they are at work] or whenever. How do you adjust for the GMT differences when determining a time zone's 'start time' & therefore a winner 'first in' ? Good question & I have no idea of the answer. Maybe 1 person took 2 minutes to find the answer and another 5 hours, but the 5 hour person saw the notice 8 hours before the other person. Who really won? No handicapping system that I know of.
    Elaine

SBSFamilyhistory

ohh I never though of that has anybody else.....

jeeb

Well to be honest I did think of that but hadn't taken into account the genius quick thinking minds of BG members and expected it to take a little longer to solve. I did have a laugh at some of the more comic responses:-

I asked what changed this normal Victorian family and one response was -

'They had a decendant who calls himself Jeeb.'

Actually I'm not related to Richard Davies but I researched for someone who is.

Jeremy

Knowledgeable and helpful

Congratulations Adele !

I am just really happy to be in the top four
    Chasing Caseys

ET in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by jeeb View Post
    Well to be honest I did think of that but hadn't taken into account the genius quick thinking minds of BG members and expected it to take a little longer to solve. I did have a laugh at some of the more comic responses:-

I asked what changed this normal Victorian family and one response was -

'They had a decendant who calls himself Jeeb.'

Actually I'm not related to Richard Davies but I researched for someone who is.

Jeremy
    Actually my first answer might have been "Richard Davies changed his name to John Jones so there would be fewer with the same name!"

ET

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Well done Adele!
    I did much the same as you - but you were obviously quicker off the mark ...!!

I will add that I agree with Elaine about the "first past the post" option - but, as she says - no easy answer to that .....!
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson View Post
    Well done Adele!

I will add that I agree with Elaine about the "first past the post" option - but, as she says - no easy answer to that .....!
    At the risk of alienating folks, may I make a suggestion? ---

Pick a closing day/date,and based upon date of response [taking into accoumt time diffemtials] - all correct responders names are placed in a hat and the winner is then drawn.

Not 'hung and quartered' but randomly picked.

Colin

Famous for offering help & advice michaelpipe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ET in the USA View Post
    I will just mention that a problem with "first in" contests is that some of us are GMT -8 and others GMT +10, so often things begin in the middle of the night for some, mid-day for others [when they are at work] or whenever.
    I don't think anyone in Aus even saw this until the dust had settled!
    Michael

Suffolk Pipe – one tree

Brick wall demolition expert!

I've just PM'd my address to you. Thank you to you and One Stop Ancestors for sponsoring this prize and to Jeremy for thinking of such an interesting competition.

Famous for offering help & advice

Congratulations Adele!

Its nice to see a Canadian flag flying from the winner's podium Take the Irish CD as well.... I'll come and borrow it from you

Sue

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast