Thread: Tools

Lynda Marie

Default Tools

I have just inherited some of my 4x great grandfathers tools. There is a little piece of metal that has his name on it. Can anyone tell me what it is called and how it is used? It looks like it might be a punch that you would hit with a mallet or hammer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you
    Lynda

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Marie View Post
    I have just inherited some of my 4x great grandfathers tools. There is a little piece of metal that has his name on it. Can anyone tell me what it is called and how it is used? It looks like it might be a punch that you would hit with a mallet or hammer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you
    Lynda
    Name Punch I believe.
    I've still got mine. Works best if the tool was still warm after being made and belted with an hammer. It will leave the image on other tools, but not as clear. Now I am feeling old.

Lynda Marie

Default Tools

Thank you for your response Neil. Would this punch be used for wood, as I understand it, he was a carpenter? Would he only use it to mark his own tools? He died in 1891 and his youngest daughter brought these items to Canada with her in 1899. She was quite the carpenter in her own right. Now they are mine and I am not much of a carpenter I am afraid.

Lynda

v.wells

Sounds like what you would call an awl. Used for punching divots/dimples in wood or even leather.

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default Tools

Is his name marked on the side of this tool?

It could be a 'pin punch' or a ' centre punch'

There are other punches which have alphabet or numbers 1 to 9 + 0 letters.

A centre punch can be used on anything.

Lynda Marie

Default tools

There are several items in the box, one of which is an awl. The item to which I am referring is made of metal and it contains his name. At first I missed the name on it thinking that it was a wedge or something to split wood by hitting the top of it with a mallet or hammer. This item definitely has his first initial and full last name raised on the metal edge.

Lynda

I think what is being referred to by Lynda is what I described. It is wedge shaped and the 'owners' name is raised on the wedge in mirrored form, so that when it is punched on a tool or flat metal, the owner's name can be read.
    It was used to prevent others laying claim to other's expensive tools, some which were custom made for them.

Lynda - could you take a photo and post it using the instructions here

Retlaw

Quote Originally Posted by Lynda Marie View Post
    Thank you for your response Neil. Would this punch be used for wood, as I understand it, he was a carpenter? Would he only use it to mark his own tools? He died in 1891 and his youngest daughter brought these items to Canada with her in 1899. She was quite the carpenter in her own right. Now they are mine and I am not much of a carpenter I am afraid.

Lynda
    Yes it is a name punch used for marking your tools, mostly used on the handles. I had one made when I was an apprentice. Its still in my tool box, all apprentices were allowed to make there own tool boxes during slack time. I left my trade in 1957, but all the Chisels, Gouges and carving tools are still sharp.
    Retlaw

Lynda Marie

Default Tools

Thank you Neil, your description is absolutely correct. The punch is almost 3 inches in length and has a number '8' on one side of it. I hope I have followed the photobucket instructions correctly. Thank you very much for your help.