Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    confusedeileen

Unhappy illigitimate birth

hi everyone this is my first go , so here goes, my grandmothers name was down on her marriage to my grandfather in 1917 as mary may southin, under fathjers name and proffesion,she was illigitimate BUT !!!! under her name she had otherwise mary may pullen . simple you may think , perhaps been married before , no can,t find a marriage,and can,t find a birth certificate in either name. But did find a may southin in the 1901 census in northchapel petworth sussex with her grandparents which is where she came from .i have tried all variations of sir names and christian names . my mother told me once that her mother was welsh i have even tried the welsh option all seem to have parents , no sign of her on the 1891 census unless she was born that year . but i was told her birthday was in june which would make her born 1890 as she married my grandfather when she was 26 in april of 1917 robert cannon i hope i hav,nt confused you all more than myself. family tell me just to except it but i can,t she must be there somewhere , she died young, aged 39

SBSFamilyhistory

hi I have found the marriage of Mary May Pullen or Southin to a Robert Cannon in 1917 June Q 2b 693. Was this her husband?

This usually means that the woman has previously been married but I cannot find a marriage for a Mary May either Pullen on Southin to a male with the remaining surname.

when she died did the certificate give her date of birth?

ummm

SBSFamilyhistory

There is a Mary May Pullen on the 1911 census (RG14PN11326 RG78PN614 RD225 SD2 ED37 SN47) but it appears her name was Dent prior to her marriage.. so maybe not the right person..but I thought you should be aware of it.

Sue

Mutley

Have you discounted the Mary Pullin registered as born in Dec 1888 in Petworth?

She seems to be on the 1901 census with parents Thomas and Mary and siblings Annie, Thomas and Kate.
    Here she says born 1890 in Petworth, the spelling is Pullen.

Mutley

She was there also in 1891
    RG12/832/32/10
    TNA crown copyright

SBSFamilyhistory

Thanks Mutley I have also found this information so great minds think alike

Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by confusedeileen
    my grandmothers name was down on her marriage to my grandfather in 1917 as mary may southin, under fathjers name and profession,she was illegitimate
    Does the certificate actually record her as illegitimate, or does it just have a blank for the father's name and occupation?

under her name she had otherwise mary may pullen
    Again, what precisely appears can be of importance.

Whereabouts does the 'otherwise Mary May PULLEN' appear on the certificate? Also, does it record the full name, or under her surname does it record her as 'SOUTHIN otherwise PULLEN' - or - 'SOUTHIN formerly PULLEN'?

Is Mary recorded as a singlewoman or is she recorded as a widow/divorced at the time of her marriage in 1917?

Mutley

I would also like to know the answers to Geoffers questions please.

There is something not quite right with the Pullen family.
    Mum Mary says in 1891 that she is 51 born in 1840 in Sutton. The children are quite young. Annie is 7, Millie is 4, Mary is 2 and Thomas 3 months. (Though the enumerators line is across Mary's age)

In 1901 she is 38 but she should be about 60.

I wonder if she is the one who had been married before or in another relationship with a Southin.

More digging later.....

confusedeileen

Default my first thought

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    hi I have found the marriage of Mary May Pullen or Southin to a Robert Cannon in 1917 June Q 2b 693. Was this her husband?

This usually means that the woman has previously been married but I cannot find a marriage for a Mary May either Pullen on Southin to a male with the remaining surname.

when she died did the certificate give her date of birth?

ummm
    my first thought but no marriage even tried different variations of southin yes robert cannon was her husband and she was 39 when she died in 1930 i believe her date of birth to be 10/06/1890- imformation from her daughter my mum brenda cannon:

confusedeileen

Default possible but unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Have you discounted the Mary Pullin registered as born in Dec 1888 in Petworth?

She seems to be on the 1890 census with parents Thomas and Mary and siblings Annie, Thomas and Kate.
    Here she says born 1890 in Petworth, the spelling is Pullen.
    hi i was convinced at first that this is her BUT because ther is a may southin on the 1901 census living with her grandparents in northchapel petworth AND there is a percy southin in the household at the same time and there was a percy southin at her wedding as a witness . thomas and mary have still got their mary with them in 1901 . the name May is quite important as it was my mothers middle name !!!! i am looking into the possibility that she was born in wales ,or very near , as a pullen (as my mother said she was ,) i seem to remember,born in wales i mean , told you i was confused

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast