Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    confusedeileen

Default not seen it

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    There is a Mary May Pullen on the 1911 census (RG14PN11326 RG78PN614 RD225 SD2 ED37 SN47) but it appears her name was Dent prior to her marriage.. so maybe not the right person..but I thought you should be aware of it.

Sue
    hav,nt had access to the 1911 census

confusedeileen

Default otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Does the certificate actually record her as illegitimate, or does it just have a blank for the father's name and occupation?

Again, what precisely appears can be of importance.

Whereabouts does the 'otherwise Mary May PULLEN' appear on the certificate? Also, does it record the full name, or under her surname does it record her as 'SOUTHIN otherwise PULLEN' - or - 'SOUTHIN formerly PULLEN'?

Is Mary recorded as a singlewoman or is she recorded as a widow/divorced at the time of her marriage in 1917?
    hi in the same section requesting name and surname under Robert Cannon is Mary may southin underneath that is written,( otherwise mary may pullen in the same section she is recorded as illigitimate in the section on the certificate reserved for the fathers name. have also looked into the possibility that mary with thomas is,nt married ,but i believe her name to be francis still

confusedeileen

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Does the certificate actually record her as illegitimate, or does it just have a blank for the father's name and occupation?

Again, what precisely appears can be of importance.

Whereabouts does the 'otherwise Mary May PULLEN' appear on the certificate? Also, does it record the full name, or under her surname does it record her as 'SOUTHIN otherwise PULLEN' - or - 'SOUTHIN formerly PULLEN'?

Is Mary recorded as a singlewoman or is she recorded as a widow/divorced at the time of her marriage in 1917?
    forgot to mention mary was quoted as a spinster on her marriage certifocate

confusedeileen

Default more confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I would also like to know the answers to Geoffers questions please.

There is something not quite right with the Pullen family.
    Mum Mary says in 1891 that she is 51 born in 1840 in Sutton. The children are quite young. Annie is 7, Millie is 4, Mary is 2 and Thomas 3 months. (Though the enumerators line is across Mary's age)

In 1901 she is 38 but she should be about 60.

I wonder if she is the one who had been married before or in another relationship with a Southin.

More digging later.....
    yes did note that and hav,nt had much luck in finding the marriage now you know why i,m confused

Mutley

Ok for just a minute, let us move sideways and look at Percy Southin.

1876 - Birth registered in Petworth
    1881 - Son of Thomas and Sarah Jane, born Northchapel. Siblings are Frederick age 11, Bertha age 8, Sarah Jane age 2 and Sarah Johnson (Mum's mum) lives with them.
    1891 - Son of Thomas and Jane. Siblings are Fred, Herbert and Sarah age 11.
    1901 - Son of Thomas and Jane, brother Herbert and May, granddaughter of Thomas and (Sarah) Jane is living with them.
    1903 - Percy marries Fanny Sadler in Petworth in December qrt.
    1911 - Percy and Fannie are still in Petworth with children Albert age 4 and Ella age 2. He is a house Painter.

In 1898 Bertha marries in Petworth to either Arthur Kingshott or Thomas Mann. I'll go on the hunt for Sarah Jane born 1879.

Mutley

It seems that Sarah Jane born 1879 died age 18 in 1897.
    An older Sarah Jane born about 1843 died age 79 in 1922 the age is not quite right for grandma but then it depends who registered the death.

I think the point I am trying to make is that if May Southin is granddaughter to Thomas and Sarah Jane she should be the child of one of their children.

Mutley

I think I have found something but I don't have a clue what it means

Looking for Bertha I found her in 1891 at 12 Northchapel Street.
    She is living with George and Sarah Chalwin (transcribed Chatwin on Ancesspit).
    George Chalwin head, born 1808
    Sarah Chalwin his wife, born 1820
    George Southin Nephew born 1853
    Percy Johnson Nephew born 1872
    Bertha Southin Servant born 1872

RG12/831/94/3 (TNA crown copyright)

I then looked for a marriage for George and Sarah

In Midhurst, Sussex registered in Dec 1864 2b/646
    George Chalwin
    Thomas Pullen
    Sarah Southin
    Mary Vanns

confusedeileen

Ok for just a minute, let us move sideways and look at Percy Southin.

1876 - Birth registered in Petworth
    1881 - Son of Thomas and Sarah Jane, born Northchapel. Siblings are Frederick age 11, Bertha age 8, Sarah Jane age 2 and Sarah Johnson (Mum's mum) lives with them.
    1891 - Son of Thomas and Jane. Siblings are Fred, Herbert and Sarah age 11.
    1901 - Son of Thomas and Jane, brother Herbert and May, granddaughter of Thomas and (Sarah) Jane is living with them.
    1903 - Percy marries Fanny Sadler in Petworth in December qrt.
    1911 - Percy and Fannie are still in Petworth with children Albert age 4 and Ella age 2. He is a house Painter.

In 1898 Bertha marries in Petworth to either Arthur Kingshott or Thomas Mann. I'll go on the hunt for Sarah Jane born 1879.
    hi again, possible that frederick is the father to mary may , so that being the reason she was known as Southin , but for legal reasons her mothers name had to be mentioned as it would have been mary may,s legal name , but have to dig deeper for mum , BUT why did mum part with her , or did she die , ta for help

confusedeileen

I think I have found something but I don't have a clue what it means

Looking for Bertha I found her in 1891 at 12 Northchapel Street.
    She is living with George and Sarah Chalwin (transcribed Chatwin on Ancesspit).
    George Chalwin head, born 1808
    Sarah Chalwin his wife, born 1820
    George Southin Nephew born 1853
    Percy Johnson Nephew born 1872
    Bertha Southin Servant born 1872

RG12/831/94/3 (TNA crown copyright)

I then looked for a marriage for George and Sarah
    In Midhurst, Sussex registered in Dec 1864 2b/646
    George Chalwin
    Thomas Pullen
    Sarah Southin
    Mary Vanns
    so we don,t know who is married to who ,will try and follow up ,

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just trolling through the web and found your queries about May May Pullen/Southin. I know it is some years ago but did you ever resolve the issue ? I do have a photograph of Bertha, who I always presumed was her mother, taken before she married Thomas Mann - its a studio portrait taken when she was nineteen years of age. Look forward to hearing from you, kind regards, Steven

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12