Fiona67

Default Madras Military Asylum

Hi
    If I am in the wrong spot......I'm really sorry
    I am looking for Ann Cardwell (aka Mary Ann Cardwell). I know that she arrived in NSW on the Duchess of Kent on 3 Jan 1843. She was 16. That ship left Calcutta 24 Sep 1842, stopping in Madras 18 October 1842 on the way to Hobart and then Sydney. I have found some info (googlesearch) that indicates that she was in the Madras Military Asylum before coming to Australia as an orphan. Ok question time :-) What is the Madras Military Asylum? Why would she be there? How would I find out about her parents if they were in India? I know she married in Sydney and I have conflicting dates of death depending on if she remarried after her first husband died.

Help

Fiona

liesl

Hi Fiona,

It looks like orphans of military personnel were put in these asylums. Her Father may have been in the military in India?

You could try these sites:

https://www.genealogylinks.net/countr...a/military.htm
    https://spuddybike.org.uk/familyhisto...sMFAsylum.html
    wiki.fibis.org/index.php?title=Orphan_Schools_in_Madras
    https://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx

Sorry if I got a bit carried away with websites. Good Luck!!

Liesl
    Last edited by Jan1954; 19-01-2010 at 7:39 AM. Reason: Commercial url deleted - they have a shop

kathiimac

Hi I am wondering if you are researching the same Ann Cardwell as me. My great great grandmother married Philip Gunning in Windsor 1847 and she always said she was the daughter of Alexander Cardwell in the 25th Regiment of Foot. I recently found information by google that a Mary Ann Cardwell came from the Madras Military Asylum which would explain how the daughter of a regiment that didn't come to NSW got here herself. Your information ties with this.

I also found two separate pieces of information - that an Alexander Cardwell died in Madras India and was buried on the 23 January 1835 (Family Search India Deaths and Burials 1719-1948).
    The other is a christening transcript for an Ann Cardwell, daughter of Private Alexander Cardwell of 55th Regiment who was christened in 1830 at South Africa. Her age was not given.
    My great great grandmother was illiterate all her life, but she always said she was born in America and that her father was in the Regiment of Foot (perhaps her knowledge of numbers was less accurate or he served in different regiments??)
    I am looking for any information or links to find out more.
    Ann Cardwell who married Philip Gunning was widowed and she later married William Hawkins. She died and is buried in Rockley NSW.

Any help appreciated - even if it is to rule out threads!
    Thanks
    Kathii

Richard1955

There seems to be some info worth reading if you google Madras Military assylum
    including this: https://search.
    fibis.org/frontis/bin/aps_browse_sources.php?mode=browse_components&id=3 87&s_id=56

dgunning

Hi Kathy,

Not sure if we have spoken before. I too and decended from Philip Gunning. What you say checks my findings. Hvae you any contact with Paul Gunning who has extensively rearched Philip and decendants?

David G

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by dgunning View Post
    Hi Kathy,

Not sure if we have spoken before. I too and decended from Philip Gunning. What you say checks my findings. Hvae you any contact with Paul Gunning who has extensively rearched Philip and decendants?

David G
    Hi all,

I know this thread is ancient but I'm also a descendent of Ann Cardwell and Philip Gunning, via their middle son John Gunning. John's eldest son Walter married Maud Peacock and had my great grandmother Kathleen (Kay) Gunning in 1917. Myself and my extended family (now called Symons & Smith) would love to hear more about any other discoveries you've made. There's a bunch of us now spread across Sydney, Yorkshire, and NZ. None of us know anything about Ann and Philip other than the old adage "one of your ancestors arrived in chains and the other was there when he got here" meaning that for years we mistakenly believed Ann was Aboriginal Australian. I have since found the record of Philip's sentencing and transportation from Wiltshire. I also have an 8 year old cousin named after Walter.

Kathy, why did Ann think she was born in America when online records state that she was born in Cape Town? We also heard via another extended family member that she was born in "South Africa or America" so is there a story here? Would love to learn more!

Would love to be put in touch with Paul Gunning the researcher whoever that is!

My email is [email protected], please get in touch, I can send over a complete drawn out family tree from Phillip and Ann onwards up to 1975 if anyone wants it too.