Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Mahala (First Name)

This name seems to have been popular in the 19th century - yes I've seen the ideas on its origins - and I have a recollection of a very old book in which one of the leading characters was called Mahala. This might have prompted people to give that name to a child, much as soaps do today. Anyone else seen/recall that?
    Should have bought the book at the time - but then I didn't know there was going to be a Mahala in my tree, in addition to the one who is a friend.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by delphine
    I have a recollection of a very old book in which one of the leading characters was called Mahala. This might have prompted people to give that name to a child
    Although the author of the book may have just been following fashion and used a name which was then well known - a bit like the chicken and egg problem.

(I also have come across the name in my research).

bibliojunkie

I queried the rise in popularity of the name in the 1800's on Gerry's Aunt Ada thread. My first thought was it came from the Bible but, according to Google, Mahala does not appear in it. Most American based origin of name sites believe it to be a native American name. I get the feeling they say most of the 'unusual' names come from the same source.

Ali

coastwallker

It is a biblcial name in its orginal form Mahalah. Mahalah appears in the book 1 Chronicles and she was a member of the tribe of Manasseh. Bit obscure but she was there. The name means tenderness in Hebrew

Starting to feel at home

Thanks for all the interest, folks! The (living) Mahala I know is Cornish and thought it was a family name (she calls herself May to avoid undue attention). However, the tree Mahalas I have are from Suffolk. Chicken & egg idea a real possibility, isn't it? So maybe I stop fretting about the old books and other displacement activities and get back to a) housework or b) family history. What a choice!
    Delphine

MaryFrances

I came across a Mahala (second name) today in a London baptismal register.

My Great Grandmother was Florence Mahala born in sutton, Suffolk. I always wondered why she was called Mahala and now I know

Thanks

jeffersj

delphine - my gg/mother has this as her first name (Mahala Cawley) and she hails from Stow Beddow (Norfolk I think). I too had wondered about the name especially for a seamstress who married a miner from Co. Durham. I also wondered how this marriage came about unless she had been in service somewhere in the area.

jeff
    Last edited by jeffersj; 13-03-2011 at 5:34 PM. Reason: additional info.

Knowledgeable and helpful

My granddaughter's best friend is a Mahala. They are both 8. It isn't only an old time name. pw

alliejaye

had a great aunt called Mahalia

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast