Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jeffersj

Gtanner- Roberts surname was Cawley.

Jeff

Starting to feel at home

Interesting just came across this thread, we also have a couple of Mahalas in our tree, interestingly one morphs between Amelia and Mahala, so I originally wondered if it was just a name that was being recorded incorrectly. It also changes to Mealah on one of the census records.

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

That's interesting Saddlers. On one of her children's birth certificates my Mahala is named as "Amelia". I put this down to the fact that she was from Norfolk but the birth was registered in South Shields- a dialectic misinterpretation!

radstockjeff

Gtanner

Many names are listed incorrectly due to a dialectic misinterpretation. I like to remind people of this from time to time as it created a big brick wall for me when I was researching my Dean line....It had been wrongly transcribed as Devin- It can stall your research for quite a while unless you know this and have a good knowledge of the different dialects.

JennaQLD

I'm glad that I have found this thread as I am researching my British family tree
    and have found that my great great grandmothers name was Mahala and so was her grandmother (my 4x great grandmother who was born in Yorkshire and immigrated to Australia with her husband in 1840). Since finding this name I have done a lot of research and found its Native American and Hebrew origins but I have wondered why it was originally given to my 4x g grandmother born in 1813, when she had several siblings all with very common names.. It doesn't really make sense unless it was indeed from a character in a book or something like that, I don't suppose I'll ever find the answer though

Jenna

markmccormack

I had a ggaunt named Mehetable (old testament - "God Rejoices"). She was listed as Mahala in a couple documents, and I never understood why. They were staunch religious folk so I always assumed it was from the bible or from "The Pilgrim's Progress" written by John Bunyan. They even named their town "Bunyan", and the Pilgrim's Progress was the second most published book for a while. I'll check it out.

markmccormack

Nope. Not in Pilgrim's Promise. I did find Makala as a girl's name meaning "fiery" in gaelic (various spellings).

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Jan47 View Post
    My Great Grandmother was Florence Mahala born in sutton, Suffolk. I always wondered why she was called Mahala and now I know

Thanks
    Thats really interesting! My name is Mahala, Mt grandmothers name is Florence and my mother is Maria Mahala. I'm wondering about the Florence-Magaka connection, I'm wondering if there might be a French connection 🤔

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Drudging up an old thread!

I have two Mahala's in my genealogy. My gg-grandmother (Mahala Machin 1883-1950, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, England), and her mother my ggg-grandmother (Mahala Matthews 1860-1920, West Brompton, Middlesex, England)

We are hoping to use the name for a future child but cannot settle on a pronunciation. Ma-ha-la or Ma-hay-la!

Whats the concensus on pronunciation of this name?

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

This site gives one explanation of the origins of the name and a Youtube site gives one pronunciation as Mah-HAA-Luh with the emphasis on the middle HAA. Using a search engine will bring up many meanings of this name/word and in this day and age I think you can choose how to pronounce it, tradition not being a major concern for naming children?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast