Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Jeuel

Be glad and rejoice. My lot are all Ann, Mary, Susan and Elizabeth!

SueNSW

Can't make up my mind about one of my families - mother - Mahala had children that included a Mahala and a Manasseh as well as an Ephraim - but also an Abigail and an Ignatio - along with a John and a Mary!!

Cheers
    Sue

Starting to feel at home

Interesting discussion - surprised it's lasted so long. Incidentally, Mahalia with an 'i' may also refer to gospel singer Mahalia Jackson who was on TV in UK quite a bit in the 60s. She may also have sung 'Remember my forgotten man' - moving final scene in 'Golddiggers of 1933' - (Could check but reference book is downstairs ...) Have I mentioned my ggmother Elvina, named after a battle in the Peninsular War - except that was about 50 years before her birth? Names persist, it seems.
    Delphine (who hasn't posted for a long time)

pauldawn

Default Malhala

Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    Thanks for all the interest, folks! The (living) Mahala I know is Cornish and thought it was a family name (she calls herself May to avoid undue attention). However, the tree Mahalas I have are from Suffolk. Chicken & egg idea a real possibility, isn't it? So maybe I stop fretting about the old books and other displacement activities and get back to a) housework or b) family history. What a choice!
    Delphine
    hi

i know this post was started some time ago but hopefully its still live.

I have a Malhala too! My great great great grandmother on my maternal side. She originated in either South America or the southern states of the USA (the records are a little unclear) she appears in the UK having married an Egford in Manchester. The funny thing is, his origins were in St Dominik , Cornwall as was that entire line of my family.

regards

paul seymour

Default Mahala post lives on

I havnt posted here for a long time but getting an email has prompted me to come back. My Mahala was a Florence Mahala but she never carried the name on. she was married three times (two of the certificates shows her as a spinster!) and had numerous children over the years, 4 of which were girls names Millicent (aka Babs), Ethel, Winifred, Dorothy - not a Mahala in sight!! lol

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

One of my biggest "brick walls" involved a Mahala. Lucy Mahala Grieves, b Brancaster 1850 , m 1869 Anthony Nurse (also from Norfolk) in South Shields and in 1875 disappeared off the radar. I think I have now rediscovered her but in the birth certificate of her third daughter (Lilian) she gives her name as Lucy Amelia. After her second (bigamous) marriage to Robert Bullen the family changed its name to Bolam.

radstockjeff

Prickley

Just for curiosity's sake, in the native Sesotho Language of South African Mahala means free of charge

Gtanner

Default Mahalah

Quote Originally Posted by jeffersj View Post
    delphine - my gg/mother has this as her first name (Mahala Cawley) and she hails from Stow Beddow (Norfolk I think). I too had wondered about the name especially for a seamstress who married a miner from Co. Durham. I also wondered how this marriage came about unless she had been in service somewhere in the area.

jeff
    Interesting Jeff- as I have just found "MY 4x great grandmother Mahalah Dean's Birth & Christening record Bn: July 31st 1800- Christened Aug 17th 1800 in Padiham, Lancashire. Her mother is listed as Phebe Dean and from previous research I know that Mahalah's son Thomas Dean was a Tailor by trade and lived in Preston, Lancashire; he was married to a Phyllis Brown...ring any bells for you?? Would like to know Mahalah's father's christian name BMD etc...

jeffersj

Gtanner -no bells ringing I am afraid. Mahala b. c.1851 her father was Robert and mother Susannah Goddard, all from Norfolk.

Jeff

Gtanner

Default Mahalah

Just curious Jeff, what was Roberts surname?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast