Thread: Carpenter

Post Carpenter

My great great grandfather, James (or William James) Hanvey was a carpenter journeyman in Stanwell Moor, Staines, Middlesex about 1868 until 1882. About 1885 he lived in Willesden and died there in 1892. Would there be a record I could access listing the carpenters in those towns in those years? Was there a carpenters guild or union that would provide information? Any help or direction you could point me to would be appreciated by our family.

Jan1954

Hello 2017 - welcome to Brit-Gen,

Being a carpenter journeyman, he may have worked for an employer, rather than himself. However, that is not necessarily the case and you may find him listed in one of the Post Office directories of the time.

Also, have a look at this TNA Research Guide about apprenticeship records.

Finally, there is the Carpenters' Company (thecarpenterscompany.co.uk/pages/history/ - put www. in front) who may be able to advise.

Default Carpenter Records

I think the post office is the way to go.

Already tried the carpenters and they did not have him - think he may have been working on his own.

Apprenticeship - I think he may have served his apprenticeship in Ireland as his father was a joiner.

I thank you for your invaluable and thoughtful assistance.

helen

Woodpecker

Wink

If you're looking in post office directories for carpenters also look at related occupations, I found one of my 'carpenters' listed as an undertaker and another as a picture framer.
    Annette

Thanks for the advice and I will keep it in mind during my postal search.

Many, many thanks.

Helen