Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Cemetery Records rue Catinat, Trigauville

It would be greatly appreciated if someone who has access to burial/cemetery records for the rue Catinat, district of Trigauville (Graville, Le Havre, Seine France) 1846 could please see if they can find the grave of

Mary Bruyn
    born 15 May 1846
    died 19 September 1846

Her parents and most of her siblings are buried in Australia.

Thanks in advance

Wayne Cook

How do I go about finding the above grave?

I don't speak french and don't know where to start.

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Does anyone know what cemeteries operated in the Rue Catinat, Trigauville district, France in 1846?

British Viking

angela 75

Hi Wayne
    I have been tracing my family roots which have a french line. I found this site called GeneaNet which has forum for different countries.

Thanks

SueNSW

Hi Wayne - not cemetery records - but in the Archives departementales for Seine Maritime (the archives of the Departement that Le Havre is situated in) - https://archivesdepartementales76.net - the civil registrations for deaths in Graville in 1846 can be located.

Mary Bruyn is recorded in entry no 305 (on page 155 of the online record)

A combination of the old style writing/language and not being fluent in French means I can't give you all the details straight away - but I have printed it off and will try to work through it (might be an exercise for my fellow students in my weekly French class???) It is written in script form - not simple points/entries as on an English death certificate of the time - so another reason for it being a bit more tricky.

I can tell you I don't think she was buried in a cemetery in rue Catinat - currently a very small street in Le Havre that looks (from Google Street View) to now be all modern houses - but that the family were living there.

Her parents are shown as Daniel Joseph Bruyn and Sarah Seline ??? (could be Nickolles??)

Also are you sure she was born in 1846 - the register entry suggests she was 1 year and 4 months - so 1845??

It says she was born in the town - so could have a look for a birth record I guess to check

Hope this a start at least - will get back when I can

Cheers Sue

SueNSW

Me again - having read through the death record again, and made a loose translation - I think the only genealogical piece of information I can add from it was that her father was a blacksmith.

The births appear to have been entered in order of reporting rather than actual date of birth - and not knowing how long the parents had to make the declaration, it will probably mean a plough through - that will take more time than I had this afternoon/evening.

From a couple of trees online on Ancestry, it appears that Mary's mother was indeed Sarah Nicholls - obviously the slightly different spelling on the death record was the French interpretation!! Also see the family ended up in my previous neck of the woods - the Dungog area.

As a matter of interest, do you have any idea why the family went to France - I'm fascinated to think how they would have managed the language/officialdom etc.

Having spent nearly 3 of the last 5 years over there, and still with quite a lot of contact via expat forums, many English speakers still really struggle despite all the modern technology and learning aids etc - can't imagine how it must have been for them.

Cheers Sue

Reputation beyond repute

As a matter of interest, do you have any idea why the family went to France
    Many British workers especially skilled workers and artisans took advantage of the period of peace following the end of the Napoleonic wars to seek work in France where industrial skills were in demand. Most returned home during the 1848 revolution.

This article may be of interest...

https://connection.ebscohost.com/c/ca...ance-1815-1848

Perhaps you can access it through your library service.

Sue, yes sorry my typo with the birth date, Daniel was a Blacksmith

Mary Bruyn 1845 Graville birth page 74 (entry 146)
    Mary Bruyn 1846 Graville death page 155 (entry 305)

Her brother Daniel Justin Bruyn is 1847 Graville birth Page 97 (entry 190)

It is Sarah Helen Nickolls (in those documents from memory)

Peter, They were British Citizens but apparently their Ancestors came from France

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast