Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Woodpecker

Question Clerk in the Custom House

My g.g.g.grandfather was Isaac Bushby, his occupation on baptisms and certificates has been described as Gent, Clerk in the Custom House, Mercantile Clerk and Custom House Agent. I couldn't find him on a list of Custom House Agents so I'm guessing his widowed wife was embelishing her youngest child's birth certificate (he died 5 months previously).
    He was born c.1788/9 died 1838 and lived in Bethnal Green, what I really want to know is where he was born. I have a fragment of information which suggests he was born in Westmorland, the son of an innkeeper. Would the customs records at Kew tell me where he was born?
    Thanks,
    Annette

The IGI has an extracted christening for Isaac BUSHBY in Barton, Westmorland on 5 Oct 1788. Does this fit in with his age at death? Parents listed as William BUSHBY and Jane RICHARDSON
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Woodpecker

Thanks Sue,
    The baptism at Barton is the only one I have found that could be him, he died in May 1838, the death cert has his age as 48, if he was born shortly before the the baptism his actual age would be 49 which I think is close enough, the only other clue I have is that his son William has place of birth Westmorland on the 1901 census although all the others have Bromley, Essex (Bromley by Bow????). I'd really like some more concrete evidence.

Mutley

Westmoreland, Barton Register of Baptisms and Marriages 1666 - 1812 has the entry,
    Isaac s. of William Bushby of Emont Bridge, Innkeeper, and Jane his wife (late Richardson) 05 Oct 1788.

Possible siblings
    Thomas 11 Apr 1783
    James 25 Sep 1790
    Sarah 12 Aug 1781

Do you know what happened to them?

Bromley, Essex is Bromley by Bow.

Woodpecker

Hello Mutley,
    Sarah married a Theodore Morrison in 1809.
    Thomas married Mary Hodgson in 1822 and died a few months later.
    James is thought to have married a Jane Craig in 1821 and lived at St Bees in Cumberland, his headstone gives an age of 47 in 1844 which is a bit out but one of the witnesses at his marriage was a John Hodgson who could have been a relative of Thomas' wife Mary Hodgson.
    There was also a daughter Susannah who died aged 11 in 1797 and at least 2 half siblings, John b.1766 and Mary b.1768 who were children from William's 1st wife Mary (nee Leyburn). Mary married Henry Parker in in 1785 but I know nothing about John.
    I know that William Bushby, innkeeper of the Crown in at Eamont Bridge (nr Penrith) had a grandson called James Bushby who was an adult in 1831 but I have no idea who James' father was, I suspect William had more children that I don't know about.
    Thanks
    Annette

Mutley

Well you seem to have done your homework. I was hoping that there may be a connection somewhere amongst them that would link them to Isaac.

I cannot find any other mention of an Isaac Bushby. Sorry

Name well known on Brit-Gen

If possible, it would be better to work backwards from what you have, rather than forwards from what might have been, though of course that isn't always possible.
    his occupation on baptisms and certificates has been described as Gent, Clerk in the Custom House, Mercantile Clerk and Custom House Agent
    This description suggests something more like a civil servant than a customs officer, though I suppose he might conceivably have retired to that job from the service.

I couldn't find him on a list of Custom House Agents
    Have you tried any of the London directories that list such appointments?

He was born c.1788/9 died 1838 and lived in Bethnal Green, what I really want to know is where he was born
    I guess you will already have details of the marriage to Elizabeth GELSON in Woodford (1823). It was by licence, issued by the Faculty Office on 23 April 1823.

If you haven't already seen the entry in the Woodford marriage register, that would be worth looking at for his marital status, parish of residence (if not Woodford) and the names of witnesses. Additionally, the allegation for the licence might contain a further clue.

Woodford registers are at the Essex Record Office. I don't know if Phillimore's marriage transcripts will include the names of witnesses.

As for the allegation for the marriage licence, if you can access London archives you can see it on film at the Society of Genealogists. If not, you can order a copy online from Origins.net, or there are LDS films, or you can ask Lambeth Palace Library, which holds the originals.

Kerrywood

Woodpecker

There is mention of an Isaac Bushby and John Gathercole linendrapers who insured 43 Bishopsgate St Without 02/02/1814 Isaac Bushby then withdrew from the partnership I think later that year. I don't know if this is the same one or whether there were 2 Isaacs.
    I have both the marriage entry and the licence but neither give any clues, the witnesses were both Elizabeth Gelson's relatives.
    Annette

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
    I have both the marriage entry and the licence but neither give any clues, the witnesses were both Elizabeth Gelson's relatives.
    Sorry, but you hadn't mentioned the marriage, so it was worth a try

Was Isaac of the parish when he married?

Have you tried the Civil Service Evidence of Age records on Findmypast?

Did Isaac leave a will?

Kerrywood
    Last edited by Kerrywood; 11-01-2010 at 9:57 PM. Reason: added a bit

Woodpecker

Thanks Kerrywood,
    Isaac was otp when he married. Elizabeth Gelson had 2 sisters who ran a dressmaking business in Woodford so they could have both lived with them for a while.
    I wasn't aware of the Civil service evidence of age so I'll give that a try.
    Sadly I haven't found a will, also I don't know what happened to his wife after 1841, their youngest daughter appears to be in Hackney Orphanage in 1851 but I can't find any records for that either.
    Annette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast