Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LynneOz

Default Hiemy and Joseph Gold, London

Hi

I have a friend who is searching for her grandfather and uncle. She has ascertained that they came from a family of Jewish clothing merchants, probably from Poland/Ukraine (a town called Galich), who lived around Spitalfields, Mile End and Tower Hamlet in London. There appears to have been quite a community of Gold families engaged as tailors in that area.

Grandfather Hiemy Fold (later known as Harry) married Lilian Judge in 1905 and left immediately for Canada. Some time immediately prior to the outbreak of WWI the whole family (plus children) returned to London for a "family crisis" (presumably the death of Hiemy's mother, Rosa). The family were then caught in England and unable to return to Canada until after the war.

When travel was allowed, Lilian returned to Canada with the girls and Hiemy remained in London with his son Joseph (b abt 1909 in Saskatchewan, Canada). From commercial directories it is believed that Hiemy/Harry joined his father (Moses Aaron Gold) in the clothing business for some time.

Oral family history indicates that Harry/Hiemy Gold died about 1953 as the result of an accident. Nothing is known about Joseph.

Any clues about how my friend may pursue this further would be most helpful. We live in Australia and so must rely on the web or email searching.

Thanks

Lynne
    Canberra Australia

AnnB

I've found a couple of sites which may be of use to you, the Jewish East End Celebration Society and the Jewish East End of London (found through Googling). I'm sure there must be more.

Best wishes
    Ann

PS Welcome to BG Forums

Harry Gold, Merchant age 33
    Lillian wife 34
    Sadie 5
    Gertrude 4
    Joseph 3
    Agusta (how written) 11 months

Departed Quebec arrived Liverpool 23 Oct 1913
    Ship "Empress of Ireland."

Last permanent residence Canada
    Future residence England.

Christina

Lilian Gold 41
    Sadie 11
    Gertrude 10
    Rose 4 and a half
    Edith 3 and a half.

Port of departure Liverpool
    Port of Arrival Halifax Nova Scotia
    Date of arrival 30 September 1919
    Ship Carmania

They are all listed as Nationality English but stamped as Returning Canadians.
    Religion C of E.

First went to Quebec Canada in 1905 and was there for 8 years.
    Intended residence in Canada To married sister's husband. Then there is another word but I can't make it out.
    Christina

LynneOz

Default Hiemy Gold

Thanks Christina. The sources for the entrance and exit information would be great, if you have them noted.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Lilian Gold 41
    Sadie 11
    Gertrude 10
    Rose 4 and a half
    Edith 3 and a half.

Port of departure Liverpool
    Port of Arrival Halifax Nova Scotia
    Date of arrival 30 September 1919
    Ship Carmania

They are all listed as Nationality English but stamped as Returning Canadians.
    Religion C of E.

First went to Quebec Canada in 1905 and was there for 8 years.
    Intended residence in Canada To married sister's husband. Then there is another word but I can't make it out.
    Christina
    Source citation Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890 - 1960 The National Archives.

Passengers recorded on page 4 of 45. ticket contract number 52184, this includes children.
    Masters name W N D Irvine
    Steamship line Cunard
    Number of Passengers on voyage 1363.

Christina

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Harry Gold, Merchant age 33
    Lillian wife 34
    Sadie 5
    Gertrude 4
    Joseph 3
    Agusta (how written) 11 months

Departed Quebec arrived Liverpool 23 Oct 1913
    Ship "Empress of Ireland."

Last permanent residence Canada
    Future residence England.

Christina
    UK Incoming passenger Lists 1878-1960 The National Archives
    Source citation BT26 Piece 554 Item 1.
    Steamship Line - The Canadian Pacific Railway

FMP and Ancestry vary with the info they give.
    Christina

LynneOz

Thanks Christina, I really appreciate the references.

Cheers

Lynne
    Canberra Australia

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Cool

I have also been researching this family for a friend and I have I bit more information for you if you are still interested
    Quote Originally Posted by LynneOz View Post
    Hi

I have a friend who is searching for her grandfather and uncle. She has ascertained that they came from a family of Jewish clothing merchants, probably from Poland/Ukraine (a town called Galich), who lived around Spitalfields, Mile End and Tower Hamlet in London. There appears to have been quite a community of Gold families engaged as tailors in that area.

Grandfather Hiemy Fold (later known as Harry) married Lilian Judge in 1905 and left immediately for Canada. Some time immediately prior to the outbreak of WWI the whole family (plus children) returned to London for a "family crisis" (presumably the death of Hiemy's mother, Rosa). The family were then caught in England and unable to return to Canada until after the war.

When travel was allowed, Lilian returned to Canada with the girls and Hiemy remained in London with his son Joseph (b abt 1909 in Saskatchewan, Canada). From commercial directories it is believed that Hiemy/Harry joined his father (Moses Aaron Gold) in the clothing business for some time.

Oral family history indicates that Harry/Hiemy Gold died about 1953 as the result of an accident. Nothing is known about Joseph.

Any clues about how my friend may pursue this further would be most helpful. We live in Australia and so must rely on the web or email searching.

Thanks

Lynne
    Canberra Australia

LynneOz

Hello
    Yes, I am still interested. Joseph appears to have married and had children according to the 1939 National Register, so I would appreciate any further confirming information.

Thanks

Lynne
    Canberra Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast