Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hi Mutley

That’s fantastic Information, and yes you are very close with the info.

Ann cannot make the connection between Walter Allen and John Roworth Allen either, she sent away for three birth certificate and all of them have turned out to be the wrong person.

There could be a spelling mistake somewhere or the information on the census could be wrong, as they where never all together at one time.
    Or perhaps John’s wife wasn’t Walters Mother, you never know!

Paul Allen

circusgirl

Hi Paul
    I dont know if I can help BUT - I have been following the family history for a William Smith b. 1847 or 49 in St Pancras depending on what you look at- he was a circus & music hall performer mostly trapeze and equestrian he had various partnerships under the stage name Atrato the last partnership he had was with John Allen as" Atrato & Allen" who had a brother called Charles.
    John Allen was listed as a circus owner along with William Atrato Smith they appear to have been partnered for some time
    but it possibly finished around the mid 1880's-
    At one point William had two Allen children living with him and one of those was called Walter but there was no birthplace recorded
    Do you know of a connection to South Shields?

if you would like to see the info I have please send an email and I will be happy to forward it to you
    regards Debra

Hi Debra

We have a death certificate for Walter G Allen, equestrian and clown know as Nimble Nip and have also found he was buried in West Derby Cemetery in Liverpool but still haven’t located where he was born.

On his marriage certificate his father was listed as John Allen, but we cannot make the link between Walter Allen the John Allen’s we have located so far

I will forward your information onto my cousin and will contact you so we can compare our information, Thanks for replying to this thread

Cheers Paul

cdrinkhall

Hi Paul, I have some informtion about the Allens. My GGGgrandfater William Smith who preformed as William Atrato was in partnership with several people including John Roworth Allen I have a copy of a progamme when the circus was in Darlington. They were recorded as living in Westoe Durham details1881 Census. Also details of a burial in Darlington Cemetry Mary Jane Allen (Died 1874)

Bareback horse rider and wife of the Excelsior Circus proprietor Frederick Allen. The Excelsior Circus toured all over the north-east of England. Mary Jane died of bronchitis while the circus was passing though Darlington.

cdrinkhall

Hi Debra, we keep appearing on the same Websites wonder if we both have the same info or anything different??
    Chris

Thanks for the information

Debra I didn’t forget your post, it has been forwarded to my cousin who is rather bogged down with work at the moment but will look into your info.

Hi Chris I will forward you info on in the same way.

We need to establish a link between Walter George Allen (Equestrian and Clown known as Nimble Nip) and his father John Allen, which is the name on his Marriage Certificate.

Walter was born 1865 - 67 in either Leicester or Nottingham according to the various censes.
    He died on the 06/08/1937 age 72 while visting his son in Liverpool.
    His occupation was Advertising Contractor and was living in Kenington London SE11, and is buried in West Derby Cemertry Liverpool

He married Annie Louisa Punderson b. 16th October 1866 in Warwickshire.
    (We have her birth certificate)

On their marriage certificate (25th May 1886 in St.Johns Church Wolverhampton) Walter is age 19 from Cleveland Street, working as a professional. Walters father is identified as John Allen also working as a professional. Often they referred to themselves as circus professionals or just professionals.

But we haven’t been able to find a John Allen having a son called Walter George Allen in any record so far.

Hi to all

I didnt realise it was so long since I last posted.

We need to establish a link between Walter George Allen (Equestrian and Clown known as Nimble Nip) and his father John Allen, which is the name on his Marriage Certificate.

Well in the last two months we have found the father of Walter Allen it was a George Allen rather than John Allen who appears on his the Marriage Certificate.

John Allen was his half brother and looked after Walter since a very early age ( 2 or 3 ). Walter first performed at aprox 4 to 5 years of age.

One of the Allen's Cricus (Thomos Allen) is to be found in Lambeth Cemetery, Walter Allen has been located in West Derby Cemetry in Liverpool.

Sorry for the delay but finding George Allen that was a harder than we though.

Cheers Paul

Mutley

Well done for sticking with your research and finding the correct father and..

thank you for letting us know. It is so good to see a successful result.

Jane Elderfield

Quote Originally Posted by a11an View Post
    ...We need to establish a link between Walter George Allen (Equestrian and Clown known as Nimble Nip) and his father John Allen, which is the name on his Marriage Certificate.

Well in the last two months we have found the father of Walter Allen it was a George Allen rather than John Allen who appears on his the Marriage Certificate.

John Allen was his half brother and looked after Walter since a very early age ( 2 or 3 ). Walter first performed at aprox 4 to 5 years of age.

One of the Allen's Cricus (Thomos Allen) is to be found in Lambeth Cemetery, Walter Allen has been located in West Derby Cemetry in Liverpool.

Sorry for the delay but finding George Allen that was a harder than we thought....
    Congratulations, Paul!
    People that travel are difficult to find at the best of times.
    A situation like this, where a person gives a foster/adoptive/step "father" as the father's name on their marriage certificate, makes it extra hard. Good for you for sticking with it.
    --Jane Elderfield

janetbaker

Hi, my name is Janet Baker, I live in Redcar Cleveland. My great grandfather was Wiliam Smith proffesional name was Atrato and he
    was in partnership with a man who name was Allen the act was known as Atrato & Allen. My greatgrandfather once owned a circus which family claimed had 100 horses and travelled far and wide. Is this any connection with your family?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast