Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    Are there any leads for you here?
    Hello Sue

Yes we have tried the links from that website unfortunately one of the websites owners has pass away and his website taken down, which is a great shame.

But though this website we found papers and artist magazines in the British Library, which have given us more information about Nimble Nip and where he performed. This new info may hopefully cross reference with other research to give us some lead to who his father was, who’s Christian name we believe is John.

If you Google "The Stage Archives" you might find something in The Stage newspaper. You can get a 24 hour pass for a fiver.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Thanks, I will try that

My cousin thinks, as I have never tried anything like this before, I will approach the research in a different way and maybe head off into areas she hasn’t tried before.

My Main mission is to assist in discovery the birth date, place and parents of our great grandfather Walter Allen - Equestrian and clown Nimble Nip.

Walter was born 1865 - 67 in either Leicester or Nottingham according to the various censes.

He married Annie Louisa Punderson b. 16th October 1866 in Warwickshire.
    (We have her birth certificate)

On their marriage certificate (25th May 1886 in St.Johns Church Wolverhampton) Walter is age 19 from Cleveland Street, working as a professional. Walters father is identified as John Allen also working as a professional. Often they referred to themselves as circus professionals or just professionals.

So it looks like I have help find Walter Allen (Nimble Nip) Birth Date and Place of Birth, then try to find John Allen his father as identified on his marriage certificate.

Wish me luck

bibliojunkie

Hi Paul. On FreeBMD:

Walter John Allen registered in September quarter 1867 in the Basford, Notts district. vol 7b p94.

In Leicestershire there are two:

Walter A Allen QDec 1866 Uppingham 7a 264 and Walter James Allen QSept 1869 Leicester 7a 168

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by bibliojunkie View Post
    Hi Paul. On FreeBMD:

Walter John Allen registered in September quarter 1867 in the Basford, Notts district. vol 7b p94.

In Leicestershire there are two:

Walter A Allen QDec 1866 Uppingham 7a 264 and Walter James Allen QSept 1869 Leicester 7a 168

Ali
    Likely to be the first one because on the 1901 census entry mentioned in the first post of this thread Walter Allen's birthplace is given as Nottingham. Ah, scrub that, just read Paul's post properly
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Mutley

In the 1881 census he is in Westoe, South Shields as an Equestrian Performer, born 1866 in Leicestershire. Living in Cleveland Street. He is with the Smith family, they are also equestrians and there is a 15 year old niece Lidian Allen (maybe Lidia or Lilian?). These could be family members, I don't know if you have explored them?

In 1871 it looks as if he is in Coventry with the Haywood family as a 5 year old boarder, they are 'artistes'. No sign there of a mum and dad.

There is a birth registered in Coventry in March 1866 for a Walter B Allen. 6d/457

Mutley

Is this mum and dad in 1881?

John Roworth Allen, a Circus manager/performer born 1840 in Derby
    Eliza his wife born 1843 in Sedgley, Staffs
    Thomas H a son born 1867 in Bilston
    Francis W a son born 1872 in Bishops Auckland
    Frederic C a son born 1875 in Leeds
    John George born 1879 in Sunderland.

They are living at 12 Bath Street, Westoe, South Shields.
    RG11/501180/46
    Record is Copyright of TNA

Mutley

John R Allen and Eliza with young Thomas are in the 1871 census. John is an Equestrian Manager. with them is his brother Charles who is a 14 year old (1857) Equestrian and Tumbler.

They are in Tower Street in Stockton.

RG10/4906/4018

Mutley

John Roworth Allen's birth is registered in Derby in Dec 1839. 19/445

There is a marriage to an Eliza Potts in Dec 1863 in Wolverhampton. 6b/655

At the moment I cannot tie these to your Walter. Who are the witnesses on Walter's marriage certificate?

There is a census entry in 1891 for what seems to be John with an Australian wife Annie Letitia. Frederick C and John George are there as well as three other children, James Edwin, Annie Beatrice and Lilian. John seems to have left the circus and is a Gas engineer.
    RG12/1202/48/9

I will await your return to see if I am close or miles away.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast