Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    avidt1

Smile Samuel Shelford born @1813 in Orsett

Hi

This gentleman a ppears in all the Census records as born In cambs, but does not appear in the Cambs Baptism Index.
    He married Emma Bass in Orsett in 1851 after his firs wife Susan Wood who he married also in Orsettt in 1847 died after 2 years of marraige.

I am hoping that he may have actually been married in Orsett.

Many Thanks

David

bibliojunkie

Hi David

Do you mean you were hoping Samuel was baptised in Orsett as you appear to have both marriages (they appear on Free BMD).

I have found an extracted christening record on IGI:

Samuel Shelford on 1 September 1813 at St Ann Blackfriars, London
    Parents Nathaniel and Susanna

Ali

Wilkes_ml

Do you have more details from the marriage certificates? i.e. his ages, and father's name & occupation? Also, who were the witnesses?
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 01-01-2010 at 4:44 PM. Reason: addition

Wilkes_ml

Where in Cambridgeshire did he say he was born in each census? Is the Cambridgeshire Index complete? Maybe he was born in Cambridgeshire, but you really need to check the original parish registers rather than relying on an index that may not be complete or 100% accurate.

Wilkes_ml

I can only find Samuel in 1851-1871 census

in 1851 he is 26 so gives a birth year of 1824-1825 place of birth not known
    in 1861 he is 40 so gives a birth year of 1820-1821 place of birth Cambridgeshire
    in 1871 he is 58 so gives a birth year of 1812-1813 place of birth Cambridge

I would be inclined to go with the 1861 date of birth, as in 1851 he may have reduced his age so that he didn't appear so much older than Emma Bass who was supposedly his "housekeeper" aged only 18. However, he may have also reduced his age in 1861 so that the age difference didn't look so big!

Wilkes_ml

I can see this is a tricky one as Samuel only gives his place of birth as Cambridge - which could mean Cambridgeshire!

If his father was named as Samuel on his marriage certificates, then there is a possible marriage of a Samuel Shelford to Elizabeth Northfield at Chesterfield in Cambridgeshire in 1819 [Freereg and also on IGI] , also a burial of Samuel Shelford in Chesterton in 1835 [Cambridgshire burial Index CambridgeshireFHS].

Keyboard86

Hi David, if your "Born 1813 Orsett" is correct then there is a death in Orsett June 1881 ref 4a 130 of a Samuel Shelford aged 68.

This could be him?

Keyboard86

avidt1

Smile Samuel Shelford

Hi All

I have now had confirmation that it was in fact the Samuel Shelford born 1813 in Blackfriars

Many Thanks
    for all your help

Kind Regards

DSavid

davidcarca

Quote Originally Posted by avidt1 View Post

I have now had confirmation that it was in fact the Samuel Shelford born 1813 in Blackfriars
    The confirmation presumably coming from your cross thread on the other site.

bibliojunkie

Hmm, I was going to ask what sources you had to confirm my find David.

Ali

PS I haven't seen the 'other site' mentioned by David in Carcassonne (on my tick list of places to see BTW)
    Last edited by bibliojunkie; 02-01-2010 at 3:36 PM. Reason: added PS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast