Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    davidcarca

Just over an hour after you posted your baptism finding in Blackfriars, DavidT posted the following look up request on the rival site

"I am looking for the baptism of Samuel Shelford son of Nathaniel Shelford & Susannah possibly Blackfriars area."

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by avidt1 View Post
    Hi All

I have now had confirmation that it was in fact the Samuel Shelford born 1813 in Blackfriars
    DSavid
    What evidence is there that this is the same Samuel Shelford? Does the father tie in with both marriages of Samuel supposedly born Cambridge? And has someone actually checked that the Samuel Shelford born Blackfriers didn't die in infancy, or stay in London and marry, or die later? Does the Shelford family of London appear in any other records ?

Settling in

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have anymore information on Samuel Shelford - wives Susan Wood and Emma Bass? I am decended from Samuel's son Thomas Reuben who we believe was the son of Susan Wood along with Nathaniel. I would appreciate any info really, including info on his parents and grandparents, his occupation, what happened to the family, etc.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Rhondashelford
    If the posters to this thread still have the same email email addresses then they should receive notification of your post,
    First of all I went looking on the GRO index for a birth registration for your Thomas Reuben Shelford mother's maiden name Wood and there isn't one. There is one for a Nathaniel Reuben (Rewben) Shelford mmn Wood Dec 1/4 1848 registration district Orsett vol 12 page 169 but at the moment I can't see him in the censuses. did he marry a Harriet Shackleton then move to the US after the 1881 census? Just trying to get some background so we can sort out Samuel.
    Can you give us some details for your Thomas? date of birth etc
    I am still trying to locate the census records for Samuel other than the 1871
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

This looks like Samuel and Emma in 1861 RG09 Piece 1074 Folio 27 Page 21
    Orsett Heath
    Samuel Shelford Married 41 Ag Lab Cambridgeshire,
    Emma Shelford Wife 30 1831 Epping, Essex
    Nathaniel Shelford son 12 1849 Ag Lab Ossett, Essex
    Emma Shelford Dau 7 Ossett
    Elizabeth Shelford dau 6 Ossett
    Eliza Shelford Dau 3 Ossett,
    Louisa Shelford dau 1 Ossett,
    William Carter Lodger Unmarried 62 Ag Lab Ossett

Nathaniel age 12 matches with the birth reg Dec 1/4 1848 mmn Woods. There isn't another birth reg 1848 +/- 2 years anywhere else in the UK on the GRO index.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Thank you Christina! I have birth dates as a range of 1846 to 1851 and place of birth as either Essex or Boston for Thomas Reuben. I am not sure which is correct. We too have not found him on the censuses and that has created confusion. He did marry Harriet Shackleton. They had a child Emma along with others and all our records say Emma Bass raised him. My grandfather is Thomas Reuben's son, Thomas Henry. If Susanna was his mother we have wondered if Thomas lived with her parents after she died or perhaps some other situation, but whatever it was, my family would love to figure it out. We have a Thomas as Susanna Woods father so that would explain where the name Thomas came from.

Thank you for your help!
    Rhonda Shelford Jansen

So Nathaniel (Thomas) Reuben Shelford married Harriet Shackleton in Guisboro, Yorkshire registration district March 1/4 1874. His first name on the registration index is Reuben. No wonder he is difficult to find on the censuses.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    So Nathaniel (Thomas) Reuben Shelford married Harriet Shackleton in Guisboro, Yorkshire registration district March 1/4 1874. His first name on the registration index is Reuben. No wonder he is difficult to find on the censuses.
    Christina

So do you think that he changed his name to Thomas? Or did you find something that says he had all three names? The source that says Thomas Reuben was born in 1846 never made sense because Samuel didn't marry Susanna Wood until July 1847. The two men, probably the same man now, have been such a mystery. Nathaniel just kind of disappears in 1861 too.

Thank you for your help!
    Rhonda

Hi
    Yes I do think he changed his name to Thomas and his birth name was registered as Nathaniel Reuben as in my post #14 with the mother's maiden name Woods. I see some trees on ancestry has his mother as Emma bass but I think that is wrong.
    Nathaniel age 12 (my post #15) is on the 1861 census with his father Samuel and stepmother Emma. Where he is in 1851 and 1871 I don't know - yet.
    Samuel's marriage in 1847 shows the bride's name as Susan Wood so when searching for her it will pay to use a wildcard - Susan*
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Thank you so much!
    Rhonda Shelford Jansen

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast