Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JAP1

Hi melsibob,

Rather than order Annabella's birth certificate (more expensive), you could have viewed (downloaded) it immediately on SP.
    It will be interesting to see what it says.

Perhaps REID is Christina's maiden name - though I can't immediately see such a marriage (and there might well be other explanations for that). But it might also be the name of a grandparent, or a close friend, or even a minister ...

Scottish death certificates can be wonderfully informative - but English death certificates are disappointingly uninformative ... If only John & Christina had died in Scotland rather than in England!! But perhaps there might be monumental inscriptions or death notices or even a will ...

Do let us know what happens.

Best of luck,

JAP

melsibob

The birth certificate arrived today. It tells me Annabella Reid was on 17 December 1893, at 8 Whitehall Street, Glasgow parents were John Currie Steamship Fireman and Eleanor Stevenson Housekeeper (formerley a Domestic Servant). There were no marriage details provided - does that mean what I think it means?

joette

Yep it usually means they were not married-who was the informant? Perhaps they did not know the marriage details but it sounds like they did not have a "regular marriage".
    There were several forms of marriage in Scotland which were as legal & binding as the usual form.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12